Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve holder tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default valve holder tool

I found this to day at oreilly's for 7 bucks. started changing my springs tonight and got one side done. im using tims tool. and it works but it seems like the circle should be out about a another 1/4" its hard to line up and keep from shifting side to side. any how the hose works great and with practice and a screwdriver tims tool gets faster! guess ill get to the other side sat and then swap the cam. woohooo!
Attached Thumbnails valve holder tool-valve-hose.jpg  
Old 11-10-2013, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default almost there

well I changed the pass side last night. after some practice I changed that side in about 1 1/2 hrs. took me 3 hrs to do the driver side. then I tore down the front and pulled the cam and put the new one in. I used two 5/16 steel rods to hold the lifters but I did have to grind a 1/4 flat spot down the whole length of the pass side. only problem is I had to stop there. I have the 1" longer bolt but im leery of using it to pull on the balancer. I looked all over for a metric allthread with no go I guess im gonna have to order a tool or check fastneal Monday they were closed on the weekend . other than that everything seems to be going well. also any of you one man shows come up with a creative way to lock the fly wheel if you don't have help or the locking tool?
Old 11-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check classifieds. dude selling pretty beefy home built tool in there for 35 shipped as opposed to GM's herpaderp pricing...
Old 11-10-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

when i had to change my oil pump i had to find a way to lock the flywheel as well. couldnt figure it out. last ditch resort is to pop off the cover on the underside of the trans. you can see the flywheel. then get some vice grips and wrap the teeth of the grips with tap or something to protect from messing up the flywheel. clamp the grips on the flywheel just tight enough so the flywheel dosent turn when you are torquing down the crank bolt. seems ghetto but i was in a bind and it worked
Old 11-11-2013, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I pried the spring around with a flathead until they stayed centered. Perk of using a cheap tool but it's well worth the money.

Quick Reply: valve holder tool