Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about installing my rockers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 07:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Question about installing my rockers.

Okay guys I am almost done with my passenger side head reinstall. I had a spark plug break off in it and had to pull thehead to get it to work again. Now the question I am having is do I have to turn the engine to TDC before reinstalling my rockers. I am reading on LS1howto.com and they say nothing about doing this. I thought the stock rockers where self adjusting so you should be able to just throw them in and go but my hanes manual say that you have to turn to TDC and all this other crap. I don't have the drivers side head pulled so locating TDC will be a PITA but if its what it takes to do it right then I will do it. I am so sore right now from pulling that damn head. I just wish I had the $ to put in some better internals since the head is already off including doing my headers and stuff. Please help me out here I have to get my baby back up and running again. Also is there anyway to relocate all the wires on the back of my passengers side head. Those things where the biggest PITA I have ever seen all the manuals say that the wires are on the drivers side not in my case hehe. One's a ground the other one has a bracket going to the transmission dipstick tube. I about killed myself getting these things out and I was hoping there was an easier way of doing it. Thats alot of wires in that thing after unplugging everything almost scares me trying to get it back together. Thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

If you remove the driver side valve cover and spark plug, you can get a rough "guesstimate" of the #1 piston tdc location. As far as the ground and dipstick tube bracket, just have to practice your finger flexibility and have a or two. Good luck and just be patient.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:03 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
If you remove the driver side valve cover and spark plug, you can get a rough "guesstimate" of the #1 piston tdc location. As far as the ground and dipstick tube bracket, just have to practice your finger flexibility and have a or two. Good luck and just be patient.
I'm getting ready to do this very same thing. So you must find TDC of the #1 piston to install them correctly?
Old 05-11-2004, 09:17 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its not 100% necessary to find TDC..but it is good practice...and you have to find TDC if you need to (or want to) check for proper preload....
you dont have to be perfect on TDC...just as long as you are close...you can put a pinky in thru a sparkplug hole(or a straw so you can feel it flex) and feel when the piston is at the top...usually close enough for our ls1's... as long as the intake and exhaust valves are both closed...then the cam is on the low side and you can get proper preload...

but again...not really necessay with an ls1
Old 05-11-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Just pull the spark plug and stick a screwdriver in the hole. You will be able to feel the piston when it gets to the top.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just put the rockers on and tq them all to 22 ft lbs. Then if you are really ****, rotate the crank through 2 revolutions and recheck the 22 ft lbs tq. Be sure you use a good tq wrench and a 6 point socket.