Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter tick question

Old 01-07-2014, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lifter tick question

So I found out that I pinched/cut the o-ring in my oil pump when I installed it during my engine build. From what I could find on here that's what the symptoms point to.

-#8 lifters tick when fully warmed
-oil has small air bubbles in it when warm
-oil pressure starts at 40 when cold and doesn't go higher and drops to around 1/4 of the gauge when warm and stays between that and 1/2 when driving.

I've driven around on it but I don't really open her up or anything like I want to. With that being said I drove from Milwaukee to Boston like that and had no issues. I plan on driving to FL in the begging of March.

So the question is how long am I ok driving like this? I just don't think I have enough time with classes and my senior design to get it done in a day. Plus I don't want to drive it to the shop with snow and salt and all that **** on the roads.

If the answer is "You're an idiot for driving it that much like that and you need to get that fixed ASAP" then so be it. I will have to try and make time to fix it. Just annoying to have to take the whole front of the engine off again.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You answered your own question in the last sentence.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lifter tick question