Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running LS6 with no coolant

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running LS6 with no coolant

Just want to see what you guys think about this idea if I would end up hurting anything.

Im finishing up my heads and cam swap on my 02 z06. I also replaced the oil pump. I tried my best to get it on there without messing up the oring but you can imagine you will never know if its on right until it starts up and it builds pressure.

As some of you may now its a PITA to get to the oil pump on a C5 with the steering rack and all in place so I thought that maybe i can just put the timing cover on and the balancer with the old bolt torqued on and fill it with oil and start it just like that for a few seconds and see if it builds pressure. Keep in mind that none of the accesories will be attached including the waterpump so in the case something goes wrong i dont have to go through too much trouble to get to the oil pump.

Do you guys think there is any chance of over heating from running for a few seconds to see if it builds pressure? are there any potential problems that I am overlooking that this may cause? keep in mind guys that this is probably less than 20 seconds. maybe even 10. not sure how long it will take the new oil pump to prime but i do plan to crank it a couple times without the fuel pump coming on.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

It'll be fine. It takes a few mins for the thermostat to open and for coolant to circulate. I plan on doing the same thing...
Old 01-09-2014, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

X2

You won't hurt anything running it a min or 2 with out coolant. I've fired several engines with out coolant to make sure everything is good to go.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you guys think there is any chance of over heating from running for a few seconds to see if it builds pressure?
It takes a few minutes for the engine block and coolant to get to around 200* on a normal day, so you have that much before it's going to need a source of cooling.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decided to do a follow up on this. I started the car and ran it for 15 secs total. Pressure built right up over 50 psi so I'm good to go on buttoning everything up. The headers were the only thing hot to the touch but I can still touch them without burning myself. Ran it with 7quarts of oil in it.

Word of advice for anyone trying to do this, wire in the alternator in order to close the circuit. If not it won't even turn over. I thought I fried my ecu for a second there. As soon as I turned the key everything shut off like I dident have a battery. Plugged the alternator in and no problem.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:23 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Yup. Don't need it pulleyed... Just hooked up. All grounds connected. Etc.

Quick Reply: Running LS6 with no coolant