Sponsored by:

L33 Teardown thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L33 Teardown thoughts?

Everyone

The last few months my rig has been complaining about low oil pressure at idle. Its gotten worse with the colder ambients and most recently developed a tick/knock

I need this thing for daily duties and a friend had a 60k mile LM7 sitting around so over the last few days I swapped them out and got the truck back on the road.

I tore down the engine today expecting to find a roached rod/main bearing but after complete disassembly I'm not seeing anything stand out. I'm curious if it could be a lifter but I'm not really sure how to determine if they're bad.

Cam bearings were all in tact and didnt see anything crazy on the cam. This particular journal I noticed it had some odd wear but I highly doubt this was the source of the noise. The journal feels smooth

Mains from front to back

Some pitting on the main cap #1 but nothing (I would assume) to cause my noise

Crank from front to back

Every rod bearing was in-tact with no grooves detected by my finger nail. Without question none of them had spun. The bearing locating tabs were in 100% shape as proof. There is also no blue-ing on the crankshaft to indicate a loss of lubrication.

I rolled every lifter over by hand and didnt feel any flat spots or binding in the rolling action. The L33 had ~175k on it so most of the bearing/journal wear I would assume is normal.

Scratching my head a little at this point.....

Thoughts welcome, advice appreciated
Old 01-15-2014, 04:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

have you checked the small end of the rods? could be a lifter too.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Not many AFA guys in here huh?

FWIW I got it figured out tonight. Just took a little closer of an eye than I was expecting to use.

I examined the rockers much more closely this time and found two that had worn and consequent push rod wear. This added more slop to the combo and produced the wear. I may be able to chalk this up to a failing oil pump giving me low oil pressure in combination with maybe some lifters taking a dump.

Here is one in decent shape

You can see the wear on this one

Here is the 2nd one (I found only two like this among all cylinders) next to a good one

You can see the worn push rod compared to a good push rod. There is an obvious difference the length.

I think I'll reassemble this L33 and put some good parts in it and sell it as a long block
Old 01-16-2014, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

I've heard of the pressure relief valve in the pump sticking and causing a low oil pressure condition. Its possible it only affected the newer engines, but maybe something to look in to.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:57 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

My L33 had a couple like that too. Although I bought just the engine for my turbo project.
Got a photo of the piston skirts?
Mine were a bit scuffed.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Same thing here with my L33. Ron, what did you end up doing about it?
I'm a bit torn as to weather or not to tear into the whole thing and "freshen" it or just replace the pushrods and worn rockers.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:02 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

I lightly smoothed the scuffed pistons with 1200 grit and used them. Reused the bearings too.

Because I was adding a turbo I replaced the cam lifters pushrods etc with new. Along with a new oil pump.

Mine came from a wrecking yard, so I don't know it's history.

I'd actually like to have a spare engine, just in case. I like the L33.

Ron

Quick Reply: L33 Teardown thoughts?