Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Coolant Problems... Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crazy Coolant Problems... Please Help!

I will apologize in advance for the length of this thread... Sorry.

So here is my problem:

When I start the car it runs fine. I have a smart funnel on the radiator to bleed the coolant system. after the car gets up to temp (but before the coolant temp. gauge reads normal operating temp) the level in the funnel begins to rise and then it explodes out making a huge mess. This happens before the radiator fan even comes on.

What I've tried/addressed:

I just put new head gaskets on the car. I made sure they were oriented the correctly and I cleaned the mating surfaces very well. I even used a cylinder leakage tester with the dye and there are no signs of a blown head gasket. the heads were pressure tested and checked for cracks before installation.

I have tried three different thermostats (two used and one new).

I have pressure tested the radiator and there were no leaks.

I have tilted the car up at a steep angle to attempt to bleed the system.

I have removed the steam vent and blown air into the heads to make sure there were no clogs.

I have tried two different water pumps.

I ran the car with the steam vent line removed from the radiator and held over the funnel.

I have searched for signs of coolant all over the engine/radiator with none found.

I am truly stumped on this one. no matter what I try, the car still boils over. with the cap on the radiator, the coolant hoses become so pressurized that you can't even squeeze them. I even tried a different radiator cap.

The only thing I can think to do at this point (before removing the engine) is to pull off the water pump again and run a garden hose through the inlet/outlet to see if there is some sort of clog in the block itself.

has anyone ever seen this before or have any suggestions?

In case it matters, the car is '93 rx7 with an '01 camaro ls1/t56.

Thanks,

-John
Old 02-06-2014, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Its gonna boil over without a cap on................Bleed it out best you canbefore it gets hot and PUT THE CAP ON. Shut the engine off till it cools down then open the cap and fill it. Do this till filled. Its tossing water because there is air in there and its getting too hot boiling over.

ITS GOING to boil over everytime without a cap.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, I did not know that. I will try that after I get it back together.

I just stuck a garden hose in the passage in the block and it looked like something shot out of the other port on the passenger side. I turned the hose on and water was only trickling out when it all of a sudden popped and let go. what ever it was it looked clear (I was unable to find what it was). I am thinking that maybe some of the plastic that the engine was wrapped in for shipping got stuck in one of the coolant passages and created a clog. I am about to put it back together and see what happens.

Wish me luck!

thanks,
-John
Old 02-06-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Anythings possible............ good luck dood

Quick Reply: Crazy Coolant Problems... Please Help!