Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do in my situation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What would you do in my situation?

Background:
I have a 408 in my 04 GTO with a set of TFS As-Cast 220 heads and a FAST 90 on it. With a 239/247 114 cam.

I also have a 6.2L shortblock that I would like to put in my 2008 GMC pickup to replace the stock 5.3L that is in it.

Since I need to buy a set of heads and a cam in order to get that motor ready to install in the truck, I am torn as to how I should go about it.

Basically looking to go with a relatively mild cam on the truck. Something like a 224/228 or thereabouts. More looking for a good torquey combo than a high reving race motor. The heads are really what I'm looking for suggestions on.

I could potentially use the TFS heads from the GTO on the 6.2L and buy a complimentary cam, then get a new set of heads for the GTO to try to make a few more HP on that. Or I could just buy a set of stock-ish heads for the 6.2 and leave the GTO alone. Or I could just yank the 243 casting heads off the 5.3 and use those (or send them off for porting PRC Stage 2.5 or whatever). Or half a dozen other options. Keep in mind I'd need to buy a different intake manifold if I went with L92/LS3 style head, as well as rockers and stands and would have to weigh that in on cost.

The question:
So assuming a budget of about $2000......what would you do if you were me?
Old 02-14-2014, 02:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ViaBellator
Background:
I have a 408 in my 04 GTO with a set of TFS As-Cast 220 heads and a FAST 90 on it. With a 239/247 114 cam.

I also have a 6.2L shortblock that I would like to put in my 2008 GMC pickup to replace the stock 5.3L that is in it.

Since I need to buy a set of heads and a cam in order to get that motor ready to install in the truck, I am torn as to how I should go about it.

Basically looking to go with a relatively mild cam on the truck. Something like a 224/228 or thereabouts. More looking for a good torquey combo than a high reving race motor. The heads are really what I'm looking for suggestions on.

I could potentially use the TFS heads from the GTO on the 6.2L and buy a complimentary cam, then get a new set of heads for the GTO to try to make a few more HP on that. Or I could just buy a set of stock-ish heads for the 6.2 and leave the GTO alone. Or I could just yank the 243 casting heads off the 5.3 and use those (or send them off for porting PRC Stage 2.5 or whatever). Or half a dozen other options. Keep in mind I'd need to buy a different intake manifold if I went with L92/LS3 style head, as well as rockers and stands and would have to weigh that in on cost.

The question:
So assuming a budget of about $2000......what would you do if you were me?
I'd buy a cute hooker and spend the weekend in Tijuana
Old 02-26-2014, 02:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you're looking for TQ not hp I'd go with smaller heads like 243 heads you can find those all day for 500 and 1500 ported with valve job

Quick Reply: What would you do in my situation?