Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions on punching out a LS6

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok fellas. I've been looking at threads (most of which are from 2003-2005ish) about putting Darton wets in the LS6. Lucky for me Race engine development is about 20 minutes away and Steve did tons of work with dartons over the last few years.

Final plans for the car I have now is a boosted (procharger Ftrim) forged Callie's bottom end. I want to have 400+ cubes and dished pistons obviously so I can run as much boost as possible, on E85, its gonna take a while, new rear end, new fuel system etc etc etc.

So the question... A seasoned LS3 block is fairly hard to come by here in So Cal from a junkyard or what have you. But they start about $2k top to bottom without an ECU... That's the cheapest I could find anyways. And seeing as I'm going to do some machining either way, do I sleeve and forge the LS6? Or do I get an LS3 and punch it out a bit?

I'm leaning towards LS3 and then saving the LS6 for a later project or selling it... But it will have 100k miles on it by the time I get to the point of the build so I'm not sure how much I could get for it. Decisions, decisions.

I guess its more like cost benefit analysis here... The old threads I found dealt only with the LS1/6 motors and I understand the block differences in the windows in the bottom end and such. But I'm not really too concerned as my HP goals are 800hp so that within the limits of what I have read... Some were still talking about the 3 valve LS7... Lol I was getting back there

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 02-13-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

consider a 6.0 iron block .or look a aluminum 5.3 block.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate the insight. I have definitely thought about iron. But I'm probably going to stay aluminum. The V is front heavy enough, iron for me is too heavy a route to go. I want to do track day road racing events and such and I don't want to under steer like a pickup truck. I know iron is better for power and such. And I also know the weight isn't a whole lot different. But when you start adding a blower and intercooler and charge pipes it starts adding weight on the nose. The battery will be moved to the rear but I will still be more front heavy if I go iron. If the V had a solid rear axle and was more a drag car, it wouldn't be a second though, 6.0 iron, punch it out, boost the hell out of it and do wheelies in a 4,000lbs car... That would be awesome.

Quick Reply: opinions on punching out a LS6