Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everyone's crankshaft nightmare...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 03:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Everyone's crankshaft nightmare...

Ok so here goes. I was having a very productive day working on my car, doing the top end and a few other tid bits... I went to install my new bad-*** ATI super Damper. I first went to my local O'Reillys and rented the harmonic balancer install tool. It was some generic, adapter ridden nightmare. See pic...

So it is a series of adapters that thread into eachother. My problem is that I threaded into the adapter, and when I went to turn it counter clockwise, the adapter stayed inside my crankshaft.
I tried a few ways to get it out to no avail, and think I screwed up the threads on the adapter; not on the crank. So I am considering trying an extractor, just afraid it might break. There is no way it is in there that tight..but I couldn't get it to turn. I am going to buy a reverse threaded drill bit and extractor set tomorrow, any tips, advice or recommendations? Thanks.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you are correct that you did not damage the crank threads because the adapter in that kit is too short to reach the crank threads. I own the same set and it is useless for LS cranks.

I would just drill it out. You can likely still get your money back from Orielly's, just tell them that it doesn't work for LS cranks, and they should have known that.

Then you can buy the correct Hawk tool and finish the project:

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2014, 04:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Summit also now sells a balancer installer, pretty nice piece for $45.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:19 AM
On The Tree

I guess this is on an ls1? Oreileys didn't have an installer for the truck balancer. Are you able to see the sides of the adapter or is it flush with the balancer? The extractor should work, just take it slow and spray pb blaster or wd40 often. The only problem I see is that usually you smack the extractor in with a hammer to make sure it grips the bolt, I wouldn't recommend hammering your crank. If you use a reverse drill bit and break it off in there your only option is to take it to a welder and have him build it up and weld a nut on it to remove it.(I've had to do that with a head bolt before that broke 1/4" below the deck) If you can still thread in the outer adapter maybe you can put some red or blue locktite on it screw it in and let it harden overnight. Would it be easier to take the balancer off and see if you can grab the adapter with a pipe wrench or channel lock pliers? The installer I used was a piece of all thread about 8"long I used the washer and bearing from that kit along with a deep socket to press it on. The thread pitch and size is pretty odd so you have to go to a "bolt" store to find it.

Last edited by Mike_hawk; 03-09-2014 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LS1 and Gen 3 truck crank snouts are the same, FYI.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Hawks tool FTW. Good luck
Old 03-09-2014, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Well I got it out with a big extractor... Whew!
Onto what I was installing...

Quick Reply: Everyone's crankshaft nightmare...