Old 09-21-2019, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,078 Likes on 2,397 Posts

3-4 year old thread.....
Old 09-22-2019, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sixspdss
[QUOT E= Arch Ilu na;18074 381]N eed duckingsome help with this one guys. I just replaced the oil pump on my wife's 2001 trans am WS6 w/ 6 speed manual trans that has been sitting up for almost a year until I had time to work on it. We were in the car together when the pump failed while sitting in traffic and noticed the pressure drop right away and killed the engine and towed it home to make sure there wasn't any additional damage. I did have to restart it for about 30 sec to reposition it for the wrecker.

Upon the first start up and a couple short test runs the car ran smooth and quite just as it did before the oil pump failure.

This morning after leaving the house and hopping on the interstate for the first time I noticed a ticking noise that was not present when cold and warming up and didn't start until after running fine for about 5 minutes and fully warm apx. 210 deg. The engine started making a noise of all of a sudden and grew louder till it was clearly audible inside the car and over the sound of the performance exhaust. The sound was very similar to a loud exhaust leak tick and clearly increased with engine speed. I did not however rev it about 3500 rpm for obvious reasons although there was no noticeable power loss.

I pulled over popped the hood and tried to pin point the location the sound was coming from. My best guess was somewhere near the intake manifold near the driver side valvecover. It did not sound like it was coming from the exhaust manifold. I killed the engine checked the oil level which was full. and let it sit for about 2-3 minutes. I restarted the engine and the sound was GONE!. It was completely gone. I started driving it back to house and after a minute or two the sound came back. I drove the rest of the way home apx. 5 miles and parked it.

Any ides what this could be? My first guess is maybe a faulty lifter but I am really not sure. Hopefully someone here can help point me i the right direction.
The car has about 130K miles on it and is all stock internally except for the new SLP oil pump & double roller timing chain I just installed. It has been well cared for and we have owned it since we bought it with 40k miles in 05.

I tried searching on the forum and cant find a logical answer. The engine does not normally make much noise at idle and if it did you couldn't hear it above the exhaust. I have ruled out the typical noisy ls1 piston slap stuff. This is a new mechanical problem of some sort.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

What weight oil are you using? Could be a collapse Lifter but sounds like it could be more like a pinched oring in the oil pump And sucking in some air[/QUOTE]
Why dont you pointlessly quote more dick massive brain guy who is smart?
Old 09-22-2019, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rogerw462
Overheated car now it makes a ticking noise at idle the increases as it getstands warmer or if you Rev it up mechanic said it was a galled piston what do you guys think?
I know its an old thread, but this guys piston is definitely galled. May even have two ro three galled pistons. I mean F, his mechanic said so, why is it even a debate?

I just hope we start seeing less galled pistons.

I don't know whatever happened to the OP. But he said after holding it a 3,000 rpm for several minutes he had issues. Well I've been in the same boat. My solution? To hold it a 5,500 rpm for about 35 minutes. Just lets her sing all of her problems out in the driveway. If that doesn't work try holdin it against the limiter for 15-20. She'll clear up.
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by David Eoff
T
Same think is happening on my 2002 v6 3.8l camaro culprit is a faulty powersteering pump bearing pulley is sliding back and forth causing a misalined belt squeak and a tick and tapping noise your mentioning car sat 8 years only 93,000 miles and it looks brand new
Ahhhh, the old " 8 year old dormant V6" syndrom. I would usually suggest addressing this with a 45, a bottle of tequila, and about three hours of holding both while sitting in a wheel barrow late at night in whatever place you call a yard. One item eventually takes over control of the other. Consideration of your circumstances forces an otherwise rough hand. Then? Bam! Instant peace and no car worries.

I scare me. Jesus.

Last edited by AnotherWs6; 09-26-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Tapping

Originally Posted by Camarokid327
Also, the ticking sound gradually appears when I hold the throttle at 1500RPMs for about 30 seconds (in park, so can't be tranny/flexplate issue) and fades away as the RPM drop down to idle. The ticking sound is very noticeable under the car as well as in the cabin. I'm starting to think I may have received a weak lifter and it is struggling when asked to work consistently at anything higher than idle. However, wouldn't a faulty or struggling lifter make noise at idle as well, especially cold starts, instead of waiting until the car is at operating temp and driven?
Hunting this down is driving me crazy!
I had a hard to diagnose ticking noise in a SBC and it turned out to be a weak valve spring.. Also could be broken.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 541 Likes on 430 Posts

Bring out yer dead! Bring out yer dead!

Quick Reply: WS6 - Engine Tapping Ticking Noise Only When Warm