Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of power after new intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power after new intake

I'm gonna have to work backwards to trouble shoot this but I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this... My ls1 had a little crap air filter directly mounted to the throttle body/maf adapter. I installed a spectre 4in over the top style set up. I went this route because of clearance issues with the radiator. My first run was amazing, more air, better idle, better throttle response. I drove around town for about 10 minutes just to play and everything was perfect. About 10 hours later I jump in to go out and it died at idle on the first start and I had to give it throttle to keep it running for about 10 sec then everything fine. It ran fine under low throttle on the side streets and I thought all was well. When I turned on to the Main Street and went half throttle or higher there was complete loss of power! If I slowly work the throttle I can make it scream and get full power. It's only when I mash the throttle open. It's a 71 chevy c10. No bells or whistles, drive by cable, open exhaust with stock headers straight out to mufflers. I'm gonna drive it a few days to see if there are any patterns or if it gets worse or better. Someone told me that the computer may have to learn the new setup. I will throw the old setup back on if it continues as see if it returns to normal.

Thanks, ya'll are usually great with the responses!
Old 03-13-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you check to see if it set off any DTC's?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

With a change like that, the MAF will see a different frequency for the idle/partthrottle/WOT parameters of the engine and possibly not be able to compensate with fuel trims.
You can test it out by taking the battery off, putting the old setup back on it, and trying it out. taking the batt of is the important part as it will reset the fuel trims.
Or you can leave the new setup on and take the batt off and see if it is good for just a little bit again. If so, you will need to either put the stock setup back on or get a tune.

Also make sure the arrow on the maf is pointed the right direction.
If you have the filter directly on the MAF itself, you can cause all sorts of other/airflow issues.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:29 PM
Teching In

just a crankshaft position relearn code
Old 03-13-2014, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That code can cause a loss of power.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:39 PM
Teching In

I put my old setup back on and no more issues. Damn, looks like I gotta shell out the $$$$$ for a dyno tune. Anyone know any good tuners in Phoenix AZ?? How often does an old chevy long bed with all terrains get dyno tuned, lol
Old 03-13-2014, 10:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

A dyno tune will not fix the drivability of the vehicle. You would need a full street tune and then possibly dyno tune also. We offer remote tuning options through HP Tuners, but do not know of anyone in the phoenix area we can recommend to you.

Quick Reply: Loss of power after new intake