Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the wrong main caps...fml

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got the wrong main caps...fml

I have a 6.0L Iron block, bored .030 over that I bought from a guy (FastDriver1992 on here) a few years ago with a 408 rotating assy. Turns out he didn't give me the correct main caps for it. I took it to the machine shop to have it checked out, and the thrust surfaces on the main cap and the block dont line up. I have another set that I dropped off that will hopefully work, but barring me going with a set of Pro-Gram, Callies, or Katech billet main caps with a line bore/hone, does anyone know a better way to fix this? If not, I'll probably just sell it all and start from scratch.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I'm kind of in the same situation as you, I bought a block knowing it had a broken main cap. I bought a used set of caps and will be sending them to the machine shop soon so I don't know yet if they will work. My block has already been decked and fit for the pistons that are going in it. I'm running ARP main studs so if I buy another block I'll still have to fork over the cash for the line bore/cylinder boring/decking. You're just going to have to weigh the costs of fixing your block versus the cost of finding another and having it machined. In my case the billet caps would actually be utilized since it's a blown 408 making over 900hp but if the stock set I sent will work then I'll use that money somewhere else. If your looking at a stock rebuild that won't require much machine work then you might be better off with a different block.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using stock main cap hardware for this one, as it'll just be a NA street/strip engine. I have another block (currently in the car and running), but it would need a to be bored .030 for my pistons, and a line hone. I'm still waiting to hear back from the machine shop about whether they will be able to work with the 2 sets of main caps I gave them.

Quick Reply: Got the wrong main caps...fml