Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gapping rings for Diamond nitrous pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gapping rings for Diamond nitrous pistons?

I finally got everything balanced and taken to the machine shop to build. I was talking to a few people and they said that its important how you gap the rings. This is whatone of them said
What happens is that that pressure squeezes out the ring gaps if they are too big and you get blowby. That's where the excess gas passes into the crankcase pressurizing it further. Except it causes the oil to foam while it does it. Which pressurizes above the valvetrain and you get a milky oil covering on everything.
so how do I tell them how to gap my rings? I dont think I will ever spray more then a 300 shot. But for sure a 200-250. Now I might have to drive this car more often then I though, for work so somewhat of a daily driver.

what else do I need to let my machinist know besides this
mains at near .0025, the rods open up a little to .0028-.003

TIA
Old 05-15-2004, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiosity, do you have a reputable engine builder? You should be able to tell him what you are doing with the motor, and he should build it that way. But here's what I gapped my rings at:
top - .024
second - .028

These are for Childs & Albert rings. Consult Diamond for your recommended ring gap.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LOnSLO
Just out of curiosity, do you have a reputable engine builder? You should be able to tell him what you are doing with the motor, and he should build it that way. But here's what I gapped my rings at:
top - .024
second - .028

These are for Childs & Albert rings. Consult Diamond for your recommended ring gap.
The guy has been doing this for 30 years and knows his stuff but the problem is he hasnt done a lot of LS1's. So thats why I want to have all the info and give it to him.

thanks
Old 05-15-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called Diamond when I built my forged 346. I told them I would be spraying up to a 200 shot. They had me open the top ring a little to .018 and set the second ring gap to .016. I had two different techs tell me the same thing.