Ls1 ticking help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 ticking help!!

Thanks for the help
Car is a 98 camaro ss ls1 t-56 t-tops
Daily driver , it has ls7 lifters, tsp pushrods, ls6 springs, new viton seals, comp trunion kit, ls6 intake manifold, 25% underdrive pulley
All these parts were put in after i blew a shift from 3 to 2 at like 80 mph, car shut off on the freeway seconds later i thought i was gonna die, car has really little cyl 8 misfire with no codes or lights on, do i gotta rebuild it? Would it be a bearing? Jus need help n advice i do all my own work, i jus dont have the stuff to take the engine out
Old 04-03-2014, 04:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the easy stuff first. Make sure that it's not an exhaust or header leak. After that I would drain the oil and cut open the oil filter. See if you have any bronze/gold colored glitter in there. That would be bearing material if it is present. Then I would look into the lifters.

Lonnie
Old 04-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Teching In

I have cut n check my oil the last 3 oil changes, which i have been using different oil, 5w-30 synthetic, 10w-30 synthetic n one 5w-30 syn with a lucas, i did this to see if it would help, so ive done 1 month oil changes to diagnose, no nothin jus oil coming out,
Now i have a second theory, i took the heads off twice, first i did pushrods n lifters, i had a bad valvespring(i found out after second teardown) second time i took heads of i did springs seals n trunion, would that bad valvespring mess up the new ls7 lifter? I think it was about 1 month exactly that i drove with it, again the second time i took the heads off i found out i had a bad spring because i could push it down with my hand n not to the other ones....
Old 04-03-2014, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Have you identified where the tick is coming from? Upper or lower end? Only reason I ask is because I took our 99TA to the shop for a ticking and was told I needed to rebuild that it was coming from the lower end. So I parked the car for a while.. starting it from time to time just never driving it, maybe just up and down the driveway to move it..

Anyway after getting more quotes on a rebuild (fast forward a year or two) still little out of our price range for what we wanted to put in it if it had to be done.

So I decided to check for myself where the noise was coming from, I already had a automotive stethoscope, so I started up the car, and literally touched every inch of the motor to pin point the noise.. you can get a cheap one from autoparts store like this one
Stethoscope

This one is even cheaper if you have a HF close by
HF stethoscope

So after checking everything up top, moved under the car, touched the ac, alternator, oil pan anything that was close to moving parts or was itself part of a moving part.. and sure enough it was the lower end, but once I located the sound getting louder, I focused in and found the noise unbarable next to starter, but it wasn't it, touching the inspection cover to the trans that's where I found the noise. At that point I assumed it was a cracked/broken flexplate( I should have removed the cover then, but didn't ) going on the assumption that it was the flexplate I decided to go on a shopping spree of sorts for replacement parts in the area

Had I bothered to remove the cover, I would have noticed that the ticking for me was 1 of the 3 bolts that holds the flexplate to the torque converter. BUT on the bright side, I now have a new rear main seal, new flexplate and new stall converter on the car. Plus more mods in line to go on since I had to tear down the car anyway..

this was my experience, may not be the same as yours, but hopefully it helps point you in the right direction, get the stethoscope and start looking for the sound.. maybe be something simple or major, but atleast you will know and can plan..

Last edited by CubanGT; 04-03-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Ls1 ticking help!!