Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's gotta be lifters
Old 06-04-2014, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

IDK man, that really does'nt sound too bad to me at all. When I watched the video I was expecting some loud clatter or something. It sounds pretty normal to me, I mean its only got 41k miles on it. But hey, if your worried about it, maybe bring it by a dealer/good LS tech & see what they say. These motors may be a little loud, but if you take care of them they should hold up great.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
IDK man, that really does'nt sound too bad to me at all. When I watched the video I was expecting some loud clatter or something. It sounds pretty normal to me, I mean its only got 41k miles on it. But hey, if your worried about it, maybe bring it by a dealer/good LS tech & see what they say. These motors may be a little loud, but if you take care of them they should hold up great.
Yea I just installed headers, and the sound isn't as noticeable but it's still there. I haven't checked my oil or filter yet as I'm going to wait until it's time to change the oil to do so. The car runs fine no loss of power, it does blow a slight bit of smoke up top so I just changed my pvc valve, and I am going to order a catch can and see if it resolves that. (it didn't do that before the headers and off road y pipe) it also may just be the car running rich due to the check engine light being on for not having cats anymore. Plus if I find no metal the car is going to get a cam over the winter with new lifters valve springs and pushrods before I add a 100 shot. So if it is a lifter it should be gone after that the car also isn't driven much maybe once or twice a week if that.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:39 AM
11 Second Club

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. The catch can does help a lot, I have one & love it. You can actaully see all the oil that would be getting into your intake.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

Oh, and doing the headers & ORY, it would be the best to get it tuned. It definitely wont run in its prime until its tuned. But if you really don't drive it much, maybe wait until you get all the mods done as you would have to tune it again. Hope it all works out!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Yea that's what I figured, especially after seeing there was a decent amount of oil in the pvc line I also pulled the tb and saw the oil getting in the intake from running it hard I assume. So catch can will be ordered in a few days, I have to do emissions soon so I am getting a basic tune to get rid of my check engine light so I can pass. But I'll wait for the cam install, to get dyno tuned plus with the addition of nitrous I'll need it. Car also has a lightweight flywheel and new clutch, I've just been enjoying the suspension that was recently installed. I'm going to drop the car off at a reputable shop tomorrow and have my frame connectors welded on and I'll tell them when it's cold to listen for the noise just for another opinion. Then I'll install the watts link and hopefully get the 9 year old tires off the car haha busy busy busy. Plus even if the noise is something worse I always say if it's broke upgrade it so no matter what it takes the car will remain on the road!

Quick Reply: LS1 Engine Noise?!?!?