Sponsored by:

c5z LS6 cam swap time

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default c5z LS6 cam swap time

Ok, so I know this gets beat to death .

It has come time that I want to install a cam in my semi new to me c5z. It has 139k on it, but runs great. Engine is all stock to my knowledge inside.

I have my cam here already. It was a Brian Tooley custom cam 238/242 615/610 113+2 cam
I just ordered a set of Brian Tooley platinum dual spring kit. so that should cover my springs/retainers/seals and locks

I know I will need pushrods, but I am going to measure for those...im sure ill prob need stock size.

Besides that, what is REQUIRED for me to complete the install? I know replace the gaskets I take off. (so timing cover, pump gaskets, etc)

I see people mention replacing the crank bolt....with what?
I see people mention doing oil pumps or LS6 pumps...ok I have a LS6, do I really need to do a ported or high flow melling, katech, etc? Is it a must?
Timing chain stuff? A must? if so, then what

What else am I missing that is REQUIRED only. At this time im not looking to go all out...I may rebuild one day, or heck who knows have a diff car since i change so much.

So what is needed to just swap the cam on the car and get it going in a reliable manner?
Old 04-16-2014, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Oil pump is just a piece of mind thing since yours has 139 on it. Get a new pickup o-ring and at least a LS2 chain for 40 bucks. It's thicker/stronger and still uses your factory gears. You can get another GM balancer bolt since the original one is a torque to yield and has to be pitched. A reusable ARP bolt is about 35 as opposed to 10 for the stock 1 time use piece. Definitely measure for the push rods and I wouldn't be surprised if you need 7.425".
Tooley can get you all that's left for your swap and good luck to you.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Yeah...so which oil pump is a good one for someone on a tight budget for now?
LS2 chain..ok ill grab one of those...ok to skip the C5R chain?

For the balancer bolt...I was thinking people mentioned getting a longer one? am I wrong?
Old 04-17-2014, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93civEJ1

For the balancer bolt...I was thinking people mentioned getting a longer one? am I wrong?
Another ls6 will suffice.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 93civEJ1

The C5R chain is badass but most people put that on new gears..which then adds up to a few hundred bucks.
Another LS6 pump or IIRC the Melling high pressure/stock volume is a decent/cheap pump.
Lastly most people use a longer bolt to draw the balancer on the crank as a generic installer. Then back it out before it bottoms out and install a new GM
I just preheated my balancer to expand it, tapped it on a bit with a lead shot hammer, and drew it on the rest of the way with the new GM bolt.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
The C5R chain is badass but most people put that on new gears..which then adds up to a few hundred bucks.
Another LS6 pump or IIRC the Melling high pressure/stock volume is a decent/cheap pump.
Lastly most people use a longer bolt to draw the balancer on the crank as a generic installer. Then back it out before it bottoms out and install a new GM
I just preheated my balancer to expand it, tapped it on a bit with a lead shot hammer, and drew it on the rest of the way with the new GM bolt.

Ah gotcha...yeah I gotta start finding some tools I need such as the valve spring compressors (wanna use those that do 2 at once), and a pushrod length checker.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

ok...I am thinking of starting to tear it down tonight. Any things I should look for or keep in mind while doing this? Certain tools I need to get i have most of the basic tools, but anything special??

Quick Reply: c5z LS6 cam swap time