Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BTR valve springs /seals

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BTR valve springs /seals

Ok, so I am kinda stumped...I got my BTR dual valve springs...of course the come with the seats and seals seperate compared to stock. The valve stem seals all look the same size and color. Here is where im stuck. I cant seem to get these things to slide all the way down on the guide and meet the seat. I oiled them up, placed a socket on top and pushed, even took a rubber mallet and thumped them with the socket. They will not seem to go down all the way. I am not wanting to do anymore with the socket than the two I have done as it seems to sorta chew the edge of the seal. I dont think it harmed the seal in any way, but I just want to be certain. Any thoughts?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:17 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 93civEJ1
Ok, so I am kinda stumped...I got my BTR dual valve springs...of course the come with the seats and seals seperate compared to stock. The valve stem seals all look the same size and color. Here is where im stuck. I cant seem to get these things to slide all the way down on the guide and meet the seat. I oiled them up, placed a socket on top and pushed, even took a rubber mallet and thumped them with the socket. They will not seem to go down all the way. I am not wanting to do anymore with the socket than the two I have done as it seems to sorta chew the edge of the seal. I dont think it harmed the seal in any way, but I just want to be certain. Any thoughts?
They usually don't go all the way down and meet the seat. There's usually about 1/8" clearance there between the two.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
They usually don't go all the way down and meet the seat. There's usually about 1/8" clearance there between the two.
oh ok...the picture that came with the spring kit showed them pretty much mated. Of course I couldnt hear them click or anything when tapping them down. I need to find a different socket or sometihng for that.

Any idea on the seals all being a blackish grey color.

On the site for BTR it shows brown and black...my kit came with all black.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:54 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

oh ok...the picture that came with the spring kit showed them pretty much mated. Of course I couldnt hear them click or anything when tapping them down. I need to find a different socket or sometihng for that.

Any idea on the seals all being a blackish grey color.

On the site for BTR it shows brown and black...my kit came with all black.
OEM seals are red or black. I forget which color is intake and which is exhaust, but it really doesn't seem to matter.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

on my stock, brown was exhaust black was intake.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

i called BTR...they are all black now and the same.

The guy I talked to didnt really seem to know as far as how far down they sit though because he said he hasnt installed them and didnt know much about them, but the rest of the guys were in a meeting.

I will take you guys word for it and just figure that if I can get it down as far as it will go then I should be good.Any recommendations on socket size for the valve seals?
Old 04-26-2014, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry about the confusion, we need to update that picture.

We had some customers leaving the stock seals on rather than using the supplied seals and locators and coil binding the inner springs.

We decided to put the warning paper in the box showing the inner spring riding high on the stock hat seal along with the inner spring sitting down on the locator. Unfortunately since those parts weren't actually installed on a head the seal is sitting on directly on top of the locator.

There should be about a 1/8" gap between the bottom of the seal and the top of the locator. You can use a 12mm 12 point socket to avoid damaging the tiny spring on top of the seals.

We'll try to get that picture updated as soon as possible to avoid confusion.

Quick Reply: BTR valve springs /seals