Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq9 vs l99

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lq9 vs l99

Hello guys. I have a lq9 I was looking to install in my 88 monte carlo ss. I ordered a torquer v2 cam and Brian Tooley valve springs to beef up the motor. I recently came across a L99 motor & trans from a 2011 SS with 6l80e transmission. I'm having a hard time deciding between both motors. My mechanic says the 6l80e won't fit in my SS. So I'm undecided on what to do? I want a 450hp daily driver and take out to track every once in a while. Pros please chime in on this.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The L99 will need a DOD/AFM delete kit, and if you want to get rid of the VVT then you'll need the delete kit for that also. The crankshaft reluctor will also need to match the computer you're using.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
The L99 will need a DOD/AFM delete kit, and if you want to get rid of the VVT then you'll need the delete kit for that also. The crankshaft reluctor will also need to match the computer you're using.
Ok first I'm trying to figure out what it is. I got the motor out a wrecked 2011 camaro ss. I'm not sure if it's a l99 or ls3. But from what u saying Brian Tooley is that it takes more work to get it right. Its not like early LS models like lq9 or ls6. I thought I take motor out, put motor and trans in my 88ss with mount kit and get wire harness reworked and get computer did and that was it. It just seems like it's a lot more to it.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX88SS
Ok first I'm trying to figure out what it is. I got the motor out a wrecked 2011 camaro ss. I'm not sure if it's a l99 or ls3. But from what u saying Brian Tooley is that it takes more work to get it right. Its not like early LS models like lq9 or ls6. I thought I take motor out, put motor and trans in my 88ss with mount kit and get wire harness reworked and get computer did and that was it. It just seems like it's a lot more to it.
If it has the automatic transmission behind it then it is a L99.

You'll need this with LS3 head gaskets: http://www.briantooleyracing.com/btr...elete-kit.html

And possibly this if you wish to delete the VVT: http://www.briantooleyracing.com/btr...elete-kit.html
Old 05-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
If it has the automatic transmission behind it then it is a L99.

You'll need this with LS3 head gaskets: http://www.briantooleyracing.com/btr...elete-kit.html

And possibly this if you wish to delete the VVT: http://www.briantooleyracing.com/btr...elete-kit.html

yes it came with automatic. So I guess it is a l99.. excuse asking a dumb question but I'm new to these new ls motors. What is Dod and VVT exactly? What do they do?
Old 05-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Nevermind. I looked it up. That's a horrible decision on the DOD and VVT. So does that mean I have to change cam when changing VVT.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by LSX88SS
Nevermind. I looked it up. That's a horrible decision on the DOD and VVT. So does that mean I have to change cam when changing VVT.
not to revive a dead thread but you won't have to change the camshaft to get rid of VVT. You will need to change the front cover and the cam gear, and also you will need to tune out VVT in the PCM.

Quick Reply: Lq9 vs l99