Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about power adders

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about power adders

Im about to purchase a 1998 firebird formula 117k mile. I want at least 400 RELIABLE Horsepower to the wheels. Heres what i plan on buying as of now.

-Texas Speed stage 1. ported ls6 heads, 2.0 intake, 1.55 exhaust
- Hardened pushrods
- Magic Stick 3 Cam, 112 LSA, 237/242 .603/.609
- .650 dual valve springs (should i move up to the EHT duals for 40$ more? or waist?)
- Single Roller timing chain (3 bolt cam)
- melling high pressure oil pump
- wiseco piston and rings (not sure what bore size yet)
- crank bearings
- cam bearings
- nitrous express inline fuel pump 500hp rating
- Bosch 3, 30lb. injectors
- Complete Gasket kit (not sure which is good)

I have a couple of questions though.
-Everyone says get an ls6 or fast intake. IS IT REALLY WORTH 600+ bucks??

-AM i going a little over board on some of these items? I dont want to spend money that is not necessary, im only 19 lol.

- what do you guys think? what setups would you recommend? does this sound like a good setup?

- should i replace the fuel rail if i am replacing injectors.

- Is a cosmetic gasket kit fine for this build or do i need something fancy?

Anything would be great help guys. This is my first build and is a project and a learning experience.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Smaller cam.
Ls6 intake isn't 600 bucks.
Replace your in-tank pump, don't add a booster.
No need to replace the rails.
42 lb injectors.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:32 PM

If i go smaller then can i just use single behive valve springs? 228r/228 .588 lift?
Old 05-19-2014, 10:37 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes, you can use single springs if your cam has under .600 lift.

The MS3 cam is really a ~440 whp (with supporting mods and tune) cam.

228r is going to be a much better street cam. The MS3 idles like hell.
The 228r is going to be much more a driver's cam. It'll also hit 400 whp with the right mods.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:59 PM

thanks joe, lots of help. me and my dad were just talking. the stock bore on the ls1 is just under 3.900, why does texas speed have so many pistons around 3.6-3.8 bore?
Old 05-19-2014, 11:13 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

The smaller bore is for the 5.3L motor.

I wouldn't worry with rebuilding the bottom end until you need to. The stock motors are tough.. and for just a heads/cam package, no need to go apeshit.

I'd do the 228R, Stage 1 heads, and the .650 springs. XE-R lobes are aggressive and the .650 springs will hold up better.

I don't see things for clutch/torque converter, rearend, or exhaust.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
The smaller bore is for the 5.3L motor.

I wouldn't worry with rebuilding the bottom end until you need to. The stock motors are tough.. and for just a heads/cam package, no need to go apeshit.

I'd do the 228R, Stage 1 heads, and the .650 springs. XE-R lobes are aggressive and the .650 springs will hold up better.

I don't see things for clutch/torque converter, rearend, or exhaust.
Awesome! Thanks jake. So no need to replace pistons, bore out, ect? I do plan to abuse quite a bit. Rear end and exhaust are already good on car. 4.10 gears which seem okay to me. Has full exhaust. But clutch I haven't looked into. Any suggestions?
Old 05-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Depends... and if you get sticky tires, the stock 10-bolt will grenade on you with an M6. Time to start budgeting for a Strange S60 or a Fab 9" from MWC.

Monster Stage 2 or 3 would be good with a Tick Master Cylinder.

I'd look at an LS6 Intake (you can find them used here). The 228R and Stage 1 heads will make 400rwhp easily. You'll probably be in the 430rwhp range honestly.

I'd do a Racetronix Pump and some 42lbs injectors. That will give you some room to grow down the road.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:16 AM

Depends... and if you get sticky tires, the stock 10-bolt will grenade on you with an M6. Time to start budgeting for a Strange S60 or a Fab 9" from MWC.

Monster Stage 2 or 3 would be good with a Tick Master Cylinder.

I'd look at an LS6 Intake (you can find them used here). The 228R and Stage 1 heads will make 400rwhp easily. You'll probably be in the 430rwhp range honestly.

I'd do a Racetronix Pump and some 42lbs injectors. That will give you some room to grow down the road.
Sounds good. It won't mess up anything if I drive the 10 bolt till it goes will it? About the pistons should I replace and bore out the block. If so to what bore size?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Unless you have problems with compression across the cylinders, I wouldn't mess with them. That money would be better served fortifying things that will break, like the rearend.

Save your money and do a 408 down the road. The LS6 heads can be further opened up for that motor and you can swap to a different cam. And the price difference between a 408 and rebuilding your LS1 is maybe 1500.

And a blown rearend won't hurt anything. You'll just have to get towed. So pray it doesn't blow as you pull out into traffic.

Also, the driveshaft on these cars are pretty shitty and could give as well. So another thing to look at...

Basically the motor is excellent. Everything else is junk. I left my shortblock alone, did heads/cam/intake/exhaust and did a new everything else in the car.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:44 AM

Unless you have problems with compression across the cylinders, I wouldn't mess with them. That money would be better served fortifying things that will break, like the rearend.

Save your money and do a 408 down the road. The LS6 heads can be further opened up for that motor and you can swap to a different cam. And the price difference between a 408 and rebuilding your LS1 is maybe 1500.

And a blown rearend won't hurt anything. You'll just have to get towed. So pray it doesn't blow as you pull out into traffic.

Also, the driveshaft on these cars are pretty shitty and could give as well. So another thing to look at...

Basically the motor is excellent. Everything else is junk. I left my shortblock alone, did heads/cam/intake/exhaust and did a new everything else in the car.
Thanks jake, your the man. I'm going look at/test drive the car tomorrow. If everything checks out to my liking I'll be coming home with it. I have 3000 to spend on the motor now. But I am able to save about 200 ish a week to go toward the car. So still a kind of slow build. If you don't mind i'de like to contact you ever now and then (through ls1tech) if I have any questions. It would be greatly appreciated man. Thanks for what you've helped me out with so far.

Anything particular that I should check for when I go see the car. Or ask the guy? I know all the routine checks.

Quick Reply: Question about power adders