Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 LQ4 Crank

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 LQ4 Crank

so my friend is putting a 6.0 bored .030 over, into his 04 GTO. it has twin 70mm turbos and he wants to make a lot of power so he picked up this block at the local junkyard, tore it down, sent the block to the machine shop etc etc.
long story short, I do a lot of research on people combo's basically what works and what doesnt. well, I never really looked in the lq4 or lq9 motors, as far as differences go in between model years. ive been looking at them because I am also putting one in my SS. I read some where about the older lq4 have longer crankshafts and those ones also came with iron heads. well that's what his block is (99).
so my question, he still has his stock ls1 crank, can it be swapped into the lq4 without any issues. both are 24 reluctor wheel and should have the same stroke right? or will the longer crank still work? I know the rods/pistons aren't able to. his is a M6 if that matter. he planned on rods/pistons and rebalanced on the stock crank. well I came across this the other night and thought I would ask before he wastes time and money for a crank that wont work. Any input/advice is much appreciated.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The longer crank won't work. He will have to use his other crank. He should also have the combo re-balanced.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So ls1 crank into the lq4 block. Rebalance the new rods and pistons to the ls1 crank. Then turn up the boost and let her eat

Quick Reply: 99 LQ4 Crank