Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions for those with a TRex cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had the T-Rex in my 202 Z06 for a couple of weeks now. Still waiting to get it dyno-tuned on the 3rd.

Without the tune, the idle is pretty rough and runs fairly rich, which causes it to bog a little bit when you hammer it at low rpm/s, but;

-It has a really nasty idle (and thats a good thing)
-Along with Kooks headers and Borla Stingers is Nascar loud (another good thing)
-Really responds from 3500-4000 rpm

Once I get it tuned and a 3.90 or 4.10 rear it wil be a beast.

Yea, it is a little rough on a daily driver, but what a daily drive!

Steve
Old 05-20-2004, 11:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smithsc
Have had the T-Rex in my 202 Z06 for a couple of weeks now. Still waiting to get it dyno-tuned on the 3rd.

Without the tune, the idle is pretty rough and runs fairly rich, which causes it to bog a little bit when you hammer it at low rpm/s, but;

-It has a really nasty idle (and thats a good thing)
-Along with Kooks headers and Borla Stingers is Nascar loud (another good thing)
-Really responds from 3500-4000 rpm

Once I get it tuned and a 3.90 or 4.10 rear it wil be a beast.

Yea, it is a little rough on a daily driver, but what a daily drive!

Steve
nice!
Old 05-20-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

How would the Trex be on the bottle?
Old 05-20-2004, 12:50 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
I should be able to answer that in about a two weeks ...

Old 05-20-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Veteran

anything over 150 i would get the nitrous version which is on a 113lsa
Old 05-20-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

The most I would be spraying would be a 180 DP shot
Old 05-20-2004, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

The most I would be spraying would be a 180 DP shot
I would say no, to much cylinder pressure
Old 05-20-2004, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

It works so damn good on the bottle it ate my Pro Yank tranny!

Dan
Old 05-20-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DanZ28
It works so damn good on the bottle it ate my Pro Yank tranny!

Dan
that sucks, how much you shootin
Old 05-20-2004, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
that sucks, how much you shootin
A 150 shot! TQ and HP are up there pretty high though..
Old 05-20-2004, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Just wondering if this cam would work good on stock heads with long tube headers. I'm looking at the G5X2 right now. I heard the T-Rex in a 02 Z in Plano about 3 weeks ago and loved the sound of it thru duals and bullets. I just got a 02 LS1/6spd for my '69 Firebird with 4.10 posi. Gonna swap a cam in before I stick the motor in. Not going to be a DD either, just a weekend toy. I just basically want a cam right now, unless I can get heads as well before it all goes in around the end of summer.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Patrolman808
Just wondering if this cam would work good on stock heads with long tube headers. I'm looking at the G5X2 right now. I heard the T-Rex in a 02 Z in Plano about 3 weeks ago and loved the sound of it thru duals and bullets. I just got a 02 LS1/6spd for my '69 Firebird with 4.10 posi. Gonna swap a cam in before I stick the motor in. Not going to be a DD either, just a weekend toy. I just basically want a cam right now, unless I can get heads as well before it all goes in around the end of summer.
im running it on stock heads along with most of the other folks. that is what it was designed for.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Sweet. Thats what I was wanting to hear. What springs are you running? Stock pushrods?
Old 05-20-2004, 05:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Patrolman808
Sweet. Thats what I was wanting to hear. What springs are you running? Stock pushrods?
TR hardened pushrods are a must
im running crane duals with a small shim
Old 05-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Seifer, I agree with most of what you say, but having personal experience with the Trex and in an A4 at that, it's plenty streetable at any throttle position. I don't DD my car, so it's ok with me. I do agree that I would not want to DD my car with this cam, but it's sure fun when I do drive it. Again, I agree with most of what you say, just wanted to clear up a misconception about the Trex...

Dan
i understand what you are saying, but to me, streetable means tolerable daily driving.

hell my car had a 227 TR cam, and full bolt ons.. that wasnt even streetable to me. I dreaded driving to work just because it was an effort in futility to keep the car on the road. it was really fast, and driving from light to light etc just wasnt fun. but yea it was fun going out racing at night, and cruisin down the highway in. But traffic just SUCKED. and i had to turn it off anytime i went to drive thrus because they couldnt hear me over the exhaust and stuff.. haha, there were just so many little things that drove me nuts, i had to get rid of it all. now im back to stock manifolds with cats.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

i understand some peoples opinions. but to me, i am more conservative in what i consider streetable. I dont believe i belong in a honda, although when i rented a honda accord while my car was getting a built tranny, it was alot easier to drive to work and back. Although it was frustrating when i wanted to have fun.

I am a more reserved driver than i used to be, i dont hammer my car very often, so i am usually just putting around town. And it sucks when the car surges, and idles high, etc.. im just saying, maybe alot of you like this kind of thing. but for me it gets old.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Seifer
i understand some peoples opinions. but to me, i am more conservative in what i consider streetable. I dont believe i belong in a honda, although when i rented a honda accord while my car was getting a built tranny, it was alot easier to drive to work and back. Although it was frustrating when i wanted to have fun.

I am a more reserved driver than i used to be, i dont hammer my car very often, so i am usually just putting around town. And it sucks when the car surges, and idles high, etc.. im just saying, maybe alot of you like this kind of thing. but for me it gets old.
you must be in your 50's becuse thats how my dad feels now and hes that same age. i also have to shut off at the drive through but thats because i drive a diesel truck. but i consider it streetable.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
you must be in your 50's becuse thats how my dad feels now and hes that same age. i also have to shut off at the drive through but thats because i drive a diesel truck. but i consider it streetable.
nah im 23.

but after tons of tickets, running from the cops on several occasions (thankfully getting away each time), and 3 trannys on this car.. its just not as fun hotrodding all over town. i worry more baout getting a ticket or breaking something and cant really enjoy it as much as i used to.

i also paid for my car totally, and have paid to fix everything that has gone wrong with my car, and paid all my tickets. so, its different for me than it is for some people, im not pointing fingers. I am just describing my point of view.

also, if you come to a site like this, and hear about the latest most badass cam, and look at the specs and cant tell by the specs if its going to be streetable, you probably shouldnt be doing it in the first place. I am a firm believer that you should at least have a clue what you are doing to your car before you do it. thats just my opinion, and everyone has one
Old 05-20-2004, 06:44 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Originally Posted by Seifer
...also, if you come to a site like this, and hear about the latest most badass cam, and look at the specs and cant tell by the specs if its going to be streetable, you probably shouldnt be doing it in the first place. I am a firm believer that you should at least have a clue what you are doing to your car before you do it. thats just my opinion, and everyone has one
But you can come to this site and feel free to rant your "opinions" on a cam you have obviously never had anywhere near your car to someone who is asking about it? You look at the specs and managed to come to a completely incorrect conclusion regarding the cam, which was taken as fact by the poster. Determining the drivability of a cam based on specs alone is retarded, and I believe YOU are the one who shouldn't be doing it, not anyone else. This may be the perfect cam for him, it may not be .... nobody knows that but him. He needs to do some research on his own (which I have talked to him about through PMs) and come to his own decision. Someone who is more confortable driving a Honda then an LS1 should in no way be discussing the "drivability", or lack thereof, of a large cam for an LS1. While you may not be able to tolerate a larger cam, I would be willing to bet 90+% of the people who are considering this cam probably are. I am sure all of them realize this is not going to behave like a stock cam, but I will tell you I was AMAZED when I put this in my car and drove it for the first time. For a cam that produces around 420rwhp on a stock headed car, it behaves itself better then a hotcam and even close to a 224 112 or similar cam.

Opinions are great, but you cannot just make up an opinion on something you have no experience with and shoot it around. You can feel free to give people your opinion on the 227 cam if you'd like, even at that I would put a note of your conservative nature under it.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

its deffinatly not a mild cam.
i also have paid out my pocket for everything. including the car so i know how you feel about breaking things, but its also my hobbie so its expected on occasion.

Quick Reply: questions for those with a TRex cam