Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine build advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine build advice

Hello all not new to the LS community or the board (i read here daily) but i was surprised i never registered here. Ive been registered on LS1.com forever. Anyways lets get to it.

I bought a 02 WS6 M6 with 98k on it last march (my 3rd F-body) bone stock from a dealer. Car runs and drives beautifully no issues whatsoever. I had to take a trip to NYC and drove the T/A up there while i had to make a stop in NC at my buddy's place so we could talk mods on the car. Right before xmas there was a huge snow storm here in NYC. I had the car parked with my car cover on it for 2 days till the snow was gone. I dug out the car 2 days later to load it back on the uhaul trailer and this is what it did the second it started. So i pretty much know the answer but what to do you guys think it is?

I know all about the common problems these engines can have with lifters and bent rods etc.. just need some opinions from you all. I immediately got the car to a shop and had the oil drained, no metal in the pan or filter after we cut it open. 7 months later the car is still at the shop untouched cause i wont let them do anything to it. I took the intake off, both valve covers off and everything looks good so far on the top end except lifters since i didnt remove the heads.

By the looks of the cam would you guys say it spun a bearing? Ill get to engine build questions in a bit i just want to see some responses from you all first. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Engine build advice-cam-1.jpg   Engine build advice-cam-2.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Nobody has any idea? Any help would be great.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a lifter more than bearing
Old 07-21-2014, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Looking at the cam lobes won't give you info at all about the bearings.

It sounds like a valve train noise. Rod knock is a deeper tone. Could be something simple like a collapsed lifter. Or it could be a broken valve spring.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Teching In

That's actually good news for me. I was thinking spun bearing. Gotta pull heads when I have some time.

Quick Reply: Engine build advice