Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 top end knock.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 top end knock.

Buddy of mine has a 98 TA with heads and cam, he recently got the car and it was running decently with no noises. He was out flogging it for the first time and it slowly developed a knocking sound. He pulled the heads and found a bad lifter, he said it came apart on the top side and the roller was still fine.

He has it all back together now and it's still making a knocking sound, it sounds like it's coming from the heads, had it idling with the valve cover off and the sound is louder but visually everything looks fine.

Any suggestions? It has good oil pressure.

Seems to make the noise when the valves close.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you go back with compatible lifters? Did you check all of the rocker trunions(assuming stock rockers)? Are you sure when things came apart that a pushrod or valve didn't get bent? It seems like noise would require some amount of gap somewhere and bent xxx would cause xxx to be shorter and give excessive clearance and maybe opportunity to make noise?

How's the oil pressure?
Old 07-31-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
Did you go back with compatible lifters? Did you check all of the rocker trunions(assuming stock rockers)? Are you sure when things came apart that a pushrod or valve didn't get bent? It seems like noise would require some amount of gap somewhere and bent xxx would cause xxx to be shorter and give excessive clearance and maybe opportunity to make noise?

How's the oil pressure?
It's a friends car, and they just cleaned the lifters and put them back in, oil pressure is good. 60lbs.

Oil doesn't squirt from the pushrods , it just dribbles out slowly.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not sure how much oil should be coming out. I haven't seen an LS run with the valve cover off. I am sure there is someone here with that info.

Quick Reply: Ls1 top end knock.