Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to procharge needing some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to procharge needing some help

I just got a 98 z28 with 103k miles wanting to run light boost to get it to 500hp but not sure how much the cam and current mods might like a procharger. Here's a list of what was on it when I got it

cmp cams #54-426-11 224 duration .568 lift
241 ported heads
comp push rod lifters and beehive springs
LS6 ported intake
hooker headers

I want to be able to drive it every day if I want to and just want to know if I could procharge it without hurting the reliability to much and how much power to expect if it would work
Old 10-22-2014, 04:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

To hit 500 will only take very mild boost with the power you're already making, so there should be no problems
Old 10-22-2014, 05:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Your cam and the rest of your mods will work just fine with a ProCharger. I would go with the D-1SC kit, and should be at 500 rwhp or higher with your mods and 8 psi of boost.
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1TE10...-Speed-Kit.htm
Take a look at the above kit where I add in the extras that are required. There are also options to delete any of the extras that you may already have. Send me an e-mail if you want to see a copy of the installation instructions. Send it to brutespeed@gmail.com
Thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-22-2014, 05:44 AM

Thanks guys. This is my first ls1 car, had a lt1 and been going through a diesel craze that's cost me way to much money just so I could out run a stock ls1
Old 10-24-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with whats stated above. The D-1SC kit with around 8-9lbs of boost will get you there. The only thing I can see with the info you provided that I would recommend changing would be your valve springs. I have seen far too many beehive springs let go in boosted applications especially. I would recommend a double spring and good retainer set up like in these in this link. Also maybe look at upgrading your rockers or at the very least do a Comp cams Trunion upgrade. Both Items are On Special Now on our website so start gathering parts up for the build and let us know if you need any help with anything.

Comp Cams Trunion Upgrade Link Click Here

Dual Spring Kit Link Click Here

Quick Reply: Want to procharge needing some help