Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie: Help on Cam selection

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie: Help on Cam selection

I have a 5.3 with 862 heads with dual valve springs, holley dual plane intake, street avenger 770 cfm carb. It currently has tsuami 648/609 cam. will not be running a turbo or nitrous on the motor. Im looking to get as much hp off motor as i can. Do you guys have any suggestions for a cam or should i just run what i have. its going in a 1980 chevy caprice 2 door. just gonna be my cruiser but i want the hp just incase i wanna play around. thanks
Old 11-29-2014, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where do you want the power. Right now you have a cam that's meant for high rpm hp and a intake thats meant for low and mid range torque. Chances are there is no shelf cams that are going to work properly with your combination, EPS has a cam that is meant for a motor with a single plain but I don't think there are any for a carb'd dual plane. Your best bet would be to call or email some of the vendors on here and get a custom cam from one of them. My list of people to contact would be Brian Tooley at BTR, Martin@ Tick Performance, Geoff at EPS, and Kip@ Cam Motion.

Also in order to get anything that resembles an intelligent answer your going to need to give more details, weight of the car, what transmission, what torque converter, rear gear ratio, and any other modifications the car has.

Quick Reply: Newbie: Help on Cam selection