Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 rebuild cost

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 rebuild cost

Hi guys, I have a question about rebuilds. So I'm looking into possibly buying an LS1 GTO soon but one thing thing that has me worried is the odds of it breaking. I know they're pretty reliable engines (right...?) but in the event one has a serious problem I know a new crate motor is close to 5k and repairs are almost that expensive, and the way I drive there's a pretty good chance I'd blow it up. I'm almost thinking it would be more worthwhile to buy a cheaper one with higher miles and use the savings to have the engine rebuilt. I'd like to do it on my own but I just don't trust myself with something so expensive. So what would I be looking at, ballpark, to have a rebuild on a running LS1 at a shop? Not for performance, just so when I drive it like a bat out of hell it won't blow up. Like new gaskets, seals, and bearings maybe? Or should I just spend more on a lower mileage car? Or am I just worrying too much?
Old 03-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been quoted for OEM specs, heads and block with forged internal pistons, new rings, and recondition crank..

2500 parts and labor..
Old 03-11-2015, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Just buy the nicer one and drive it like you stole it. They are pretty hard to blow up. Worry about the rebuild when the time comes. I had one that I took to the track probably 50 times and never had a problem. I had an 05 M6 with headers tune and a CAI and on a good day I could run a 12.5 at 114 mph. I used to redline that thing all the time. Ran like a top.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not for performance, just so when I drive it like a bat out of hell it won't blow up. Like new gaskets, seals, and bearings maybe?
You say you drive like a maniac yet you don't want to upgrade for performance? Seems *** backwards to me.

First of all, the stuff that most likely will break when you drive hard won't be the ones you mentioned eg. gaskets, bearings, seals etc. Secondly, replacing those won't make your engine more able to witstand abusive driving, and if you break the stock engine pretty quickly by driving hard you will break the fixed engine just as quick since like I said those parts don't make an engine stronger, those are just refreshing from wear and tear.

If that's the kind of driving you do fine, but I'm just letting you know not to expect your engine to last longer with your "non-pefromance" engine fix. If you want longevity and strength, you need to forge the engine and actually make it stronger at handling the abuse you throw at it. By that I mean new pistons, connecting rods etc. that are stronger than stock.

Quick Reply: LS1 rebuild cost