Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Pressure

Hey guys, hoping for your thoughts here on what I have going on.

I just finished installing an EPS cam, TEA heads, BBK long tubes and GMPP High volume oil pump in my 2002 Camaro SS. I have owned this particular car 2 years and have previously own 2 other 2000 model year cars and all of them have had about 60 psi cold and 40 psi hot oil pressure.

A couple of things worth mentioning are I broke the original oil pressure sensor off when I first removed the intake manifold and replaced it with an aftermarket sensor off of ebay. During my attempt to re-install the oil pump pick up tube I dropped the bolt in the pan which I then removed to recover said bolt and replace the engine oil pan gasket that was leaking anyway. I completed installing the pick up tube with the pan off. I reused the camshaft retaining plate as I have never seen replacing mentioned when I did my research nor did I attempt to align the oil pump body with the crank shaft.

Just curious what your thoughts are as I do not want to drive it until I have this sorted. It had normal oil pressure before and now it does not.

I have a new oil pressure sensor from the local Chevy dealer on my desk here in front of me. I plan on installing that first. After that I have no idea what I should do next except remove the timing cover, replace the oil pump, oil pump pick up tube o-ring and camshaft retainer.

Anyone have a better idea about how to go about this?

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.

Doug
Old 03-10-2015, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Maybe I didn't see it but what is your oil pressure at now?
Old 03-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Teching In

It is currently running under 20 psi hot, 40 psi cold. Before it was 60ish cold and 40 hot....
Old 03-10-2015, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't recommend driving it

Things can go south fast from here

Not aligning the pump is one thing, you also might have pinched the oil pump o ring during install

Also I wouldn't have reused the cam retainer plate since the rubber on it is usually flat and can't create a good seal

You can get a new cam retainer plate for $20

Make sure you installed the o ring on the pickup tube like the picture I've attached..

Center that pump, you haven't done damage yet and if I were you I would re do everything
Attached Thumbnails Engine Oil Pressure-image-2796345823.jpg  
Old 03-11-2015, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Default Problem Solved

Well I guess I should have know better. My forearms look like I got attacked by a cat but after installing a new sensor from the General I now see what I expected to see, 60+ cold and 40+ hot.

The part# for the sensor I bought of Ebay was a "New OEM Oil Pressure Sensor 1 Pin ACDelco D1818A GM 12562267".

The part I installed from the Chevrolet dealer was also a D1818a but the gm# was 19242505.

I have lived this lesson before I guess I just didn't learn.

Now onto the sewing machine noise!

Thanks for the input gentlemen, best regards...
Attached Thumbnails Engine Oil Pressure-op-after-sensor.jpg  

Last edited by Doug Hampton; 03-11-2015 at 12:41 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-11-2015, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

Glad it was an easy fix

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Pressure