Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KAtech bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KAtech bolts

I have dealt in great length with the stock rod bolt. I have torqued them and checked them countless times as my other thread will read:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ock-bolts.html

Anyways we had another set of the later style rods in the shop that needed checking and honing. Torqued them up the regular old 15ft/lb plus 75 degrees.....and bud-ump-bump to no suprise they were out of round a good .001-.0015 depending on the rod.

Then Rich (shop owner & resident old fart) says: "ohh yea he wants to use these special $200 bolts."

The customer fo these rods is a well read, well versed, and expereinced LS "guru." I was excited to see what the $200 "special" discontinued rod bolts would do to these bores.

So I followed the directions on one rod to start. With the factory reused stock bolt this particular rod was out of round a little over .0009"

When I checked it after the KAtech install the f***ing thing fell right in under .0002" OOR. I really couldn't beleive it! and better yet the measurement fell right in the middle of the factory spec for the big end housing bore.

Ater all the dickin around with the stock bolt, KAtech seems to have a good process and product! The worse rod was almost .0015" out of round before KAtech and came into just under .00005" after.

We still will hone them exactly round, but it'll just take a kiss on the hone this time around. Be forwarned that reusing stock rod bolts, in my experience, causes a change in the housing bore. Once resized though, they will repeat. Just sharing my experience.

-Travis
Old 04-04-2015, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: KAtech bolts