Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going fast in California...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 08:10 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

A U-Haul and first months deposit on a house out of that "state" would be the best decision
Old 04-13-2015, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
A U-Haul and first months deposit on a house out of that "state" would be the best decision
haha so true.

Anyways, I am getting close to pulling the trigger on some parts. does the ws6 store have a similar return policy to summit racing? Summit seems a little more expensive, but I have had really really good luck returning items to them.

is this http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...hell-replacem/ a port/polished version of http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...r-ls1-ls2-ls6/ ? Seems worth the extra $ if it is. I just want to make sure I am not missing anything. They both have EGR for us 2000 guys ya?

heads:
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=4558

got some more research to do to get the right cam. Thanks for all your help
Old 04-13-2015, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For now, that always a viable option, even though technically it contributes nothing to this thread.
You've got to know that eventually moving to another state won't be a option worth even considering with all "climate change" fear mongering going on in politics. Eventually all states will have the same screwed-up emission standards like California. It's not a matter of if it will happen, but when.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:01 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

LOL. True, true. I was just making a light hearted joke.

OP, you CAN go fast in Cali, and still be emissions friendly... 99Blu is a testament to that statement.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL. True, true. I was just making a light hearted joke.

OP, you CAN go fast in Cali, and still be emissions friendly... 99Blu is a testament to that statement.
Yes, I so do feel I have a good understanding of what's required, and that was actually my initial goal several yrs a ago with my engine, but the temptation of the Darkside was just to great for me to resist. I would have make a few changes to be friends with the EPA.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 102 is a waste of money for what your trying to do. Stick with an LS6 manifold. And the heads you are thinking about are great heads but I would rather send your heads (241 castings) to AI for porting. I would only go to an aftermarket casting if you could pick a cam that is bigger than what will pass CA smog and go with long tubes.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks blue 99! I thought ls6 intake manifolds were only for 01 as 02 models? Our cars don't fail visually if they have an ls6? I did have an ls6 intake manifold and long tubes 2 firebirds ago. But I blocked off the egr and didn't need to smog.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

re-machining stock heads sounds like a better option for my goals? Price isn't a huge factor, but I don't want to be dumb either. I will probably buy another set of stock heads and have the port work done so I don't have to wait while the heads are off. What should I look for?
Old 04-15-2015, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Yes the ls6 intake will technically fail visual inspection. But you can swap between the ls1 and ls6 intake in 30 min for smog.

As far as heads go you can save $1000 dollars by sending your heads in for CNC porting compared to buying the AFR heads.

It ultimately your money and you can spend it how you want. But I think for a smog build aftermarket castings, and a 102 is way overkill. You can use the saved money on an underdrive pulley and a ram air, or electronic cut out ect.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will probably buy another set of stock heads and have the port work done so I don't have to wait while the heads are off. What should I look for?
As far as heads go you can save $1000 dollars by sending your heads in for CNC porting compared to buying the AFR heads.
Buying used heads is about $400, porting is around $1000, springs another $200. At that point you're pushing into used AFR terittory and actually just $100 less than brand new TFS as cast 220s (if those pass smog).

Not saying ported 243s are bad but unless you get a good deal on a set already ported (which is what I went with those myself) you're not saving that much compared to an aftermarket casting that will undoubtedly make more power.

Either way, you can have a pretty fast car and still be smog legal. Whatever heads you choose, paired with a FAST intake and small cam, even through shorties and 4.11 gears will easily net you an 11 second car if you can drive.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redtan
Buying used heads is about $400, porting is around $1000, springs another $200. At that point you're pushing into used AFR terittory and actually just $100 less than brand new TFS as cast 220s (if those pass smog).

Not saying ported 243s are bad but unless you get a good deal on a set already ported (which is what I went with those myself) you're not saving that much compared to an aftermarket casting that will undoubtedly make more power.

Either way, you can have a pretty fast car and still be smog legal. Whatever heads you choose, paired with a FAST intake and small cam, even through shorties and 4.11 gears will easily net you an 11 second car if you can drive.
The goal is 12's and drive it all day. I know a reared is going to help way more than this engine work. But again, I am slightly low compression and need to address the heads. I will keep my eyes peeled for some ported 243's. what can/should I do with the valves? Sorry you guys have to hold my hand so much, I am still new to modifying engines, but I really like it.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Technically if the OP were to swap in an 01-02 motor, wouldn't he only be required to meet the emissions regulations of the year of the engine? And newer engines into older vehicles are allowed, just not the other way around. With that being the case, couldn't he update the different parts and claim an 01-02 engine?

Straight from the EPA:

"For light-duty vehicles, installation of a light-duty engine into a different light-duty vehicle by any person would be considered tampering unless the resulting vehicle is identical (with regard to all emission related parts, engine design parameters, and engine calibrations) to a certified configuration of the same or newer model year as the vehicle chassis, or if there is a reasonable basis for knowing that emissions are not adversely affected as described in Memo 1A. The appropriate source for technical information regarding the certified configuration of a vehicle of a particular model year is the vehicle manufacturer."

From CARB:

"An engine change involves swapping a car engine with another that is not identical, under California law. The state insists that the newly-installed block must be the same age or newer than the one coming out of the car. It must be from the same type of vehicle, such as a passenger car or light duty truck. If the car is California-certified then the engine going in to the car must also be California-certified. Car owners must make sure an engine change does not increase pollution levels, according to California's Air Resources Board. Car owners must submit their car for inspection after an engine change takes place. This is carried out at a state referee station where the vehicle is subject to an emissions test and checked to see that all required equipment is where it should be under California law."

Last edited by 93Z2871805; 04-16-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Skeetwya
The goal is 12's and drive it all day. I know a reared is going to help way more than this engine work. But again, I am slightly low compression and need to address the heads. I will keep my eyes peeled for some ported 243's. what can/should I do with the valves? Sorry you guys have to hold my hand so much, I am still new to modifying engines, but I really like it.
I was like you learning and asking questions about smog friendly mods.

Not counting labor I swapped my LS1 heads to GM CNC complete heads ($1500-includes springs, valves, porting) and mild sleeper cam ($650 -includes pushrods, bolts, gaskets, LS2 chain) on stock manifolds and stock bottom...passing smog all the time. You already have the stall & gears so you will easily pull 12's all day long with just H/C.

Depending on the smog shop they usually look for the necessities (cats, no engraved heads or headers, smog stuff) and plug in the computer, then you pass. If you have a noticeable radical cam, then you will have an issue but most of them just want to get it done in 20 minutes or less and pass you.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BBATCAR
I was like you learning and asking questions about smog friendly mods.

Not counting labor I swapped my LS1 heads to GM CNC complete heads ($1500-includes springs, valves, porting) and mild sleeper cam ($650 -includes pushrods, bolts, gaskets, LS2 chain) on stock manifolds and stock bottom...passing smog all the time. You already have the stall & gears so you will easily pull 12's all day long with just H/C.

Depending on the smog shop they usually look for the necessities (cats, no engraved heads or headers, smog stuff) and plug in the computer, then you pass. If you have a noticeable radical cam, then you will have an issue but most of them just want to get it done in 20 minutes or less and pass you.
Where did you find the complete Gm cnc heads?
Old 04-17-2015, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Where did you find the complete Gm cnc heads?
Any of the vendors like Texas Speed have GM heads that are ported and upgraded. They are GM heads cast numbers 799 or 243 heads that come with upgraded springs/valves to your liking.

Texas Speed will also do heads without the engraving if your willing to wait or buy a head plate like I did and cover the engraving with the plate on the passenger side. They look exactly as your stock heads only the cast number is 799/243 vs. 241 which the smog guys have never, ever question. I doubt they are trained to check all head casting numbers on all cars, I just don't see that happening.

If your cam is going to be mild, a "Stage 2" set of heads should cover your needs with all the upgrades. I went to Martin @ Tick Performance for my cam, he probably has heads as well.

It is the radical cam or loud headers that usually cause the failed smog test. I've never had a problem. Hope that helps.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
couldn't he update the different parts and claim 01-02"
Technically no. From my experience with getting a California Ref and Bar exam the block must match the year of the vehicle it came out of. Idk where the block number is on an LS1 block but if it's not an 01-02 number than it will not pass the exam and you won't get the sticker certificate stating to smog your vehicle as an 01-02.

Op send your heads here for this package and save money by using YOUR castings on your car. No need for 243/ 799 castings. Sure your car will be down for a bit but not a big deal. I had my heads back fast. Porting cost $1195. Buy some PAC 1218 springs(less than $200 on ws6store.com) and send them with your heads. You will get them back assembled and ready to bolt on. Way cheaper than AFR heads at $2200+.

http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX...RGMLS1Head.php
Old 04-17-2015, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry you guys have to hold my hand so much, I am still new to modifying engines, but I really like it.
Don't worry about it man. Everyone learns stuff at some point and time. One main word of advice. Don't overbuild your car and waste money on parts you don't need because everyone else on here does. Most people with healthy cams and head setups on here don't need to smog their cars so they can go ***** to the wall with their builds. Or most people from California get illegal smogs and build their cars however they want.

I think it would be smarter to invest your money on things like porting your stock castings you already have to save money, get a custom cut cam for YOUR build specifically, do all the supporting mods, and buy a nitrous kit. You would have one hell of a reliable combo that passed smog. Although nitrous kits are not smog legal, they can easily be hidden or partially removed for the test.

Basically California sucks to be a car enthusiast in. Lol. So it's best to not go overboard and just buy another car that does not need to be smogged and build it ***** to the wall. Goodluck with everything man.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
Technically no. From my experience with getting a California Ref and Bar exam the block must match the year of the vehicle it came out of. Idk where the block number is on an LS1 block but if it's not an 01-02 number than it will not pass the exam and you won't get the sticker certificate stating to smog your vehicle as an 01-02.
I've never had to deal with Cali Refs, but from what I've heard they are brutal. I was just thinking if you update to the newer equipment, and still pass emissions, you'll be fine. I've heard stories of people doing ERod swaps in Cali getting grief over an adjustable FPR, they wouldn't accept welding the nut rendering it non-adjustable.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:28 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
Yes the ls6 intake will technically fail visual inspection. But you can swap between the ls1 and ls6 intake in 30 min for smog.
SLP made an LS6 intake with EGR. They are hard to find but do pop up for sale every now and then.

Also, if one is willing to hack up the LS1 intake to remove the EGR fitting, I bet it could be epoxied to the LS6 in such a way that the EGR pipe could be cut and fitted to it. Of course, it wouldn't function but would appear stock to pass visual.

Quick Reply: Going fast in California...