Sponsored by:

LS1 white smoke :-(

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 white smoke :-(

Hy all,

after the ls1 swap was done , i did my first test ride today.

Unfortunately i recognized that there is a lot of white smoke (maybe also a bit blue , hard to say)

At idle there is almost no smoke, but at acceleration the engine starts to smoke a lot ....

After the test ride a made a short video ...so u can see the white smoke at smashing the gas pedal...

here is the link to the video

http://www.vidup.de/v/9I3GX/

I got the engine of a Z28 camaro....i just bought the car for the swap..
Before i bought the camaro i made a test drive and there was no smoke.
Also on the highway back home i couldnt see any smoke...also at hard acceleration..

So now i am pretty wondering why the engine is smoking ! ???

At the swap i eliminated the egr system.

Also i reduced the lambda on two sensors... also no catalyst in the exhaust system

The pcm is programmed for the swap...

The fuel pressure is around 4 bar.

During the installation of the new air filter setup and checking the throttle body , i recognized that there is some grease inside of the intake manifold.
Looked like some oil grease...
Maybe the PCV system is not working correctly anymore....and the engine burns oil through the intake manifold ?

I read some articles on the internet ...it looks like its a common problem on the LS1 !!

What do u think ??

And how can i check the pcv system ??

Thanks a lot for ur help ....

CU
Achim
and sorry for my poor englis again
Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

The PCV system is the hoses that wrap around your intake manifold near the passenger side valve cover. If the hoses are all rotted out, it's the PCV.

For what it's worth, when mine went, I had black smoke, not white.

When I did my engine work, I had white smoke for a while that smelled like burning wood. Scared the crap out of me, but it eventually quit. It was just all the penetrating oils, sealers, etc burning off. If the white smoke smells like burning wood, I'd say you're probably fine and itll clear up. If it smells sweet (like coolant or gas) or oily, then you might have to start worrying
Old 04-20-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your using breathers on your valve covers you need to prolly fix that.. the LS1 is supposed to pull around 3-5 inches of vacuum through the PCV system.. Its a common problem and for these motors. you need a factory oil cap and prolly a new PCV valve and a catch can... The updated PCV vale part # is PCV1009DL or GM # 12572717.. the GM one is what they recommend to fix the oil consumption issue..
Old 04-21-2015, 08:54 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

I ended up putting the LS6 valley cover in with the integrated PVC. Gets rid of all those hoses and potential leak points. I've been very happy with that upgrade.

Quick Reply: LS1 white smoke :-(