Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 6.0 swap

I want to start collecting parts for a 6.0 swap in my '98 Camaro Z28. some of the searching I have done hasn't answered questions or concerns I have.
my goal is to build a bad *** reliable street car with some track time. I also plan on swapping in a 8.8 first and 4l80e when I put the 6.0 in. I currently have 4l60e... all of this on a budget.. I picked up a '01 lq4 complete short block for 150.. my plan is to rebuild using LS2/LQ9 rods and a LS2 crank.

whats a good price to pay for used rods/ crank?

another thought I had is to use 4.8 ('05+) rods.... is there a benefit to this? searching only came up with 4.8 crank in a 6.0.
also will a 4.00 stroked crank (24x) still have a good rod to stroke ratio?.. I've read that it isn't the best at the bottom of the stroke?

can I use or should I use the dampener for a LS2 motor( example SS trailblazer) or will one for the ls1 be the way to go?.. I want to put a new one on.

I also want to put a ls2 timing chain.. and gears..(or aftermarket that's comparable in price) can I use the lq4 timing (front) cover?.. or is there interference that I need to remove material?

can I just use the flexplate from the lq4?
I plan on having the rotating assy. balanced..

any advice? or something I missed?
I know about the hole that needs drill/tap for alt. bracket...what size?

l92 heads and l76 intake (because of the map sensor) are also planed..

thanks for the help!!
Old 04-21-2015, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

....So is it a good idea to use stock..lq9,ls2... rods?..2 crank?
Old 04-22-2015, 05:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4in stroked cranks are fine. If you bore the block over 30 it makes the CI equal 408. Lots of 408 motors out there including my own. The piston issue has to do with the fact that part of the skirt sticks out the bottom at BDC with a 4in stroke. But piston manufactures have addressed this with a new piston design many years ago. But that means you have to go to new pistons if your going to do a crank swap. You must also get 6inch rods for the longer stroke. The standard are 5.7in if I recall.

So you need to decide if your going to do a 402 (4in bore 4in stroke) / 408 (4.03 bore 4in stroke) and if so plan on getting new rods and pistons to go with it.

Other option is to stick to a 362 or bore it 30 over to a 370 and get new pistons or stay stock bore use what it has now.

Ls2 dampener, not sure if it sticks out further for the accessory drives or not. A standard ls1 f-body dampener is going to be the same as the ls2 (minus the accessory drives lining up maybe) so no real point in using a 2 over a 1.

Ls2 timing chain I see no reason it wouldn't fit it it's a single chain. If it was a double roller chain than some grinding on the timing cover may be required.

Yes you can use the flexplate from the Lq4 if I recall it was 00 and lower that had the funky spacing for older trans but that was crank thing also.

L92 heads are a good upgrade I run them, not sure if L76 intake will fit under the hood of a f body or at least might require cutting the cowl. Not sure. I run a ls3 intake on mine. You can adapt the hole to plug a ls1 map in and plug it in.

You sound like your just getting into this. I would recommend lots of reading.
I know the search bar up top sucks so I'll give you a better way to search for your answers. Go to google. in the search bar type in what ever your wanting to know and at the end put a space and type in site:ls1tech.com and then hit enter. The only results google will give you are from Ls1tech and you can better research that way. Best of luck on your build.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help!.. ya I've Google alot of this but came with some of my Owen concerns. . I'm new to the ls motors as far as to some parts that interchange or are better then others.
the intake I am referring to is the one found on the g8 gt motor..not a truck..if that's what you are thinking. . Sorry I thought the g8 motor was the l76. So the intake on a g8 should fit with out cutting. I thought about ls3 intake just was sure what needed to be done with map sensor .. also I did not look into either.. something I need to do.
as for the dampener. .since there is no difference. .performance. . I'll stick with ls1. Thanks for clearing that up.
as for rod length I believe all..except 4.8's .. are same length 6.125 I believe .. werewolf ss what rods did you use?..

Quick Reply: 6.0 swap