Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this cam too big?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is just temporary to get it running. I am honestly not too concerned with power right now. The 5.3 I did get was cheap so it fit my budget. I left the cam in it, despite everyone saying it will be too big. I realize I will lose a ton of power, but for now I can't justify another $400 :/ (Wife wont let me)

If it runs, its running 100% better then it was when it was just taking up space in the garage with a hole in the ls1. It is all getting scrapped eventually so I am ok with a car that just sounds good. Again, better then it not running at all I suppose.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Totally get that. The running vehicle that's leaving power and efficiency on the table runs a lot better than the one distributed across the garage floor 4" deep in parts and tools.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well without further ado, here she is. Fired right up. Sounds identical to my LS1. Drove it around town not hot rodding at all and it honestly feels just like my ls1 did. I know that it is not, and I will feel it when I finally open it up, but the drive-ability is literally exactly the same as the LS1 was.

I have a standard and I dont even have to ride the clutch to get it moving. You wouldnt even know it has a 5.3 with 706 heads in just by driving it or hearing it.

Yalls opinions did not go unheard, and I sincerely appreciate yalls feedback. It just didnt fit my budget or timeframe to change cams at this time. But hey, go figure, yesterday after I started it up, I found a guy who wanted a bigger cam who had a 224r straight trade

I am just super freaking stoked to have my car running and drive-able after it being a giant *** paperweight for over a year. Thanks again ls1tech!
Old 05-17-2015, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

When is it getting retuned? Interested in seeing power it does put out
Old 05-19-2015, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know it's a little bit late now. Just throwing this out there, when I was cam only I ran the tsp 228r and I had them cut it on a 111Lsa. I can honestly say I had the most fun with my car with that cam. It had a nasty idle and tuned very easily. I made great mid range TQ and pulled hard to red line. I believe it was 228-288 588-588 if i remember right. May want to consider it if do have a choice/funds. I will say this. I make triple the power now then I did back then and prob drive car 4X less now then I did back then.

You can't go wrong with the cam. Just my 2cents OP

Quick Reply: Is this cam too big?