Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undersized Double-Roller Timing Chain/Set

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Undersized Double-Roller Timing Chain/Set

Having a line bore done and anticipate I will need an undersized chain. Not having any luck finding a double-roller chain or set that offers that option. So far I have contacted Rollmaster, Progear and several LS vendors with no luck. Can anyone offer any leads?

I currently have an N-Motion double-roller that is not tight but is fine with a dampener but might not be after the line bore. Another option would be a tensioner, but research says the LS3 tensioner has issues. Does anyone make a replacement tensioner that can hold up to the abuse of a high-hp turbo setup?

...tks
Old 06-25-2015, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Did some more digging and came up with the solution.

Here are the details for anyone else who might have this need. The cam sprockets have the LS2 1x reluctor that can also be used on earlier engines.

Cloyes undersize components are only available in double roller. The Hex-Adjust set part # is 9-3159A-xx where xx is 5, 10 or 15 depending on the undersize needed. If the cam is true and the hex-adjust is not needed the part number is 9-3659x3-xx. This still gives adjustability on the crank gear.

If you want just the chain, then it is 9-131-xx. I asked if the chain could be used with my N-Motion gear set and he said yes but gave the standard company CYA that he could guarantee a precise fit. He then admitted he had never heard of any issues doing that.

Hope this info is useful to someone.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Why do you think the chain should be tight? Not saying floppy like an arby's vag, but tight?
Old 06-25-2015, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

LS1 engines are designed to have slight play in the chain when cold due to the aluminum block expanding once up to temp.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Understand about the typical LS chain fitment and never said it needed to tight. Maybe you missed the part where I said my engine is being line bored so I am anticipating it will be like an "Arby's vag"

Won't know for sure until I assemble and measure. Wanted to know ahead of time what my options were.

Quick Reply: Undersized Double-Roller Timing Chain/Set