Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 new bottom end zero compression in cyl 6, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS1 new bottom end zero compression in cyl 6, HELP!!

I'm at a loss guys. The motor is a 2000 LS1, bottom end was just rebuilt, used heads with yellow springs. The motor has a misfire, I was hoping it was an ignition problem but after doing a compression test, cylinder 6 makes 0 compression. After removing the rockers (to relieve any pressure on the valve springs), the cylinder made 90 psi compression. I tried swapping rockers and pushrods from a different cylinder, but again it made no compression. Something is preventing the valves from closing entirely, or at least that's my best guess. I purchased the heads with valves and springs already installed by the seller, I suspect the fault may be in his assembly but lack the experience to be certain. The rest of the cylinders made 140-160 psi cold.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

valve tip height is too tall and this causes the pushrod to bottom out in the lifter plunger, essentially making it a solid and holding the valve open
you can take all the rockers off on that side and use a straight edge to verify this
Old 06-28-2015, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Tony said and try this
http://www.gregsengine.com/cylinder-...n-testing.html
re putting oil in no 6 clyinder to check leakage around the rings.
Also if you have a depth gauge remove the pushrods and check the lifter height ensuring the cam lobe is on the base circle. Check the pushrod length on cylinder 6 with another cylinder.

Quick Reply: LS1 new bottom end zero compression in cyl 6, HELP!!