Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 crank end play?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 crank end play?

Just dropped factory crank back in after after machine shop work was checking the end play and got .0020 on one end and got .0025 on the other. I have read online that it usually falls in between .0015 and .0078 in total end play just wanted to double check and get a second opinion
Old 07-06-2015, 05:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 392 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Shitstafer
Just dropped factory crank back in after after machine shop work was checking the end play and got .0020 on one end and got .0025 on the other. I have read online that it usually falls in between .0015 and .0078 in total end play just wanted to double check and get a second opinion
Slightly too tight.....common.

Half the engines I build I have to sand the thrust surface lightly and open up the end-play (no exaggeration).

Perfection is .0035 - .004 IMO leaving a couple of thou on each side for the oil...crank floats on the oil and doesn't even move in operating conditions but is completely free. If the clearance is too tight.....not enough oil.....too loose and you lose the hydraulic support from the oil and you can get some light hammering back and forth, especially in a stick car. I'm kind of a stickler on end play.....watch how much better it spins when you add that extra thou or two.....crazy how so little makes the difference but it does.

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!

Quick Reply: 5.3 crank end play?