Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to LS engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015 | 11:08 AM

Default New to LS engines

I have a 97 Camaro that I'm currently really wanting to get building on.

My engine plan is a 5.3L using LS heads, and factory block, crank, rods, and Pistons with an ITB system. Not sure on where to go as far as what to run for injectors.

Everything will be held with ARP.
It's a fresh rebuild currently being worked on.

I'm also curious as what to run for a cam. I want some idle. But mainly looking for power on the mid to upper range of the power band.

Also would love some tips on what I should use as far as head parts, I am completely new to the LS line, so am clueless on where to go for good parts, places to stay away from, as so on.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-03-2015 | 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Can I ask why you're wanting to run a 5.3 with independent throttle bodies? I've only seen this done once, and if memory serves me correct, it was a large cube motor. Is this a race motor going into a race car, or is it going into a weekend toy?

As far as cam goes, you'll want a custom grind, especially with an ITB system.
Old 08-03-2015 | 01:21 PM

I am wanting this for a street and weekend race car.

And for the ITB, main reason is because of the difference. There are a lot of LS's in the Fargo/Moorhead area, and I just wanted mine to stand out a little.
Old 08-04-2015 | 03:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Welcome to the LS game! Ask questions, do research, search the forums, buy some parts, find out what you like and don't, buy more parts, break some stuff, buy more parts, ask questions, etc. You'll have it figured out in about 10 years haha. But for real, there are so many possible answers to the questions you posed with your original post. I guess you're running a 5.3 because they're cheaper to be had?
Old 08-04-2015 | 07:03 AM

More or less, yes. I like them, and I've always liked the idea of building one.
Old 08-04-2015 | 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

It would also behoove you to talk to some of the fine LS1tech sponsors. My theory is it's best to have one hand in the pie so to speak, so talk to a few of the sponsors, see which one you like, and go through them for everything. That way you don't have mixed and matched parts that may or may not work well together.

Quick Reply: New to LS engines