Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for heads - what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shopping for heads - what to look for?

I am currently doing some research as far as heads go. What are some of the important specs to focus on when shopoing for heads? Would there be much noticable difference between the reputable companies such as TEA, AS, etc. if we were to compare their Stage II heads for example?

Just so you know I am looking for a decent set of heads that would compliment my TR220 cam. This car will primarily be used on the street so I am trying to focus more on gains across the entire rpm range instead of just high end gains.

For my application what range of flow numbers should I take a look at? Sorry if these questions are crude but I am trying to learn more about heads as I go along.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 06-10-2004, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brians98ss
I am currently doing some research as far as heads go. What are some of the important specs to focus on when shopoing for heads? Would there be much noticable difference between the reputable companies such as TEA, AS, etc. if we were to compare their Stage II heads for example?

Just so you know I am looking for a decent set of heads that would compliment my TR220 cam. This car will primarily be used on the street so I am trying to focus more on gains across the entire rpm range instead of just high end gains.

For my application what range of flow numbers should I take a look at? Sorry if these questions are crude but I am trying to learn more about heads as I go along.

Thanks,
Brian
look for a head that gives good mid lift flow numbers,don't get caught up in the peak numbers,especially since your cam is around 550 lift.i have that cam on a 114 lsa and i love it.it's a good street cam.that being said, i would go with a head that doesn't have the ports hogged out too much.you want to keep the intake port velocity high.call the different vendors and see what they have to offer.gomer had that cam and some patriots,i think they were 5.3s,and he made over 400 rwhp on an m6.just my .02
Old 06-11-2004, 05:02 AM
Suspended Sponsor Account

a good set of Stage 1's( what we call stage 1 some call a stage 2) will work well with that cam. we have a couple of guys running smaller cams with our stage 1's making close to 400rwhp. One guy is making 377rwhp and 400rwtq on a 212/218 cam through stock exhaust manifolds even.
Our Stage 1's come with 2.02/1.57's, dual springs and Ti retainers. Custom hand finished to compliment your cam. Give us a call if interested, either way we can answer your questions on what will work best for you.