Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate head/cam combo

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TexMax: the trex cam can be a streetable cam if the car is set up right. but there is no freakin way i would ever even consider putting in a trex in a automatic with a stock torque converter, it would be totally miserable. you need to have a 3800or better stall to do that. also whoever said the trex lost power with heads, where the hell did you read that. head cam combo cars with the trex are going almost mid 10's
btw, i drive mine all the time, i love it.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am going to go w/ the boltons and Cam. I've heard all about the trex stuff, but I've heard lots of people who have them w/ a high stall say they drive fine. Because heads are so expensive, I probably won't ever end up getting them, or at least it will be a few years, so I want to get the most power out of a cam and bolt ons as possible. To address the tires for track times: the nearest descent track is about 2 hours from here, so I'll only occasionally be going. While I do want good 1/4 times, I want to wait until I can scrape up the dough for a 12 bolt rear end before I put some stickies on my stock one so that I don't suddenly have to replace it when it gets ripped to shreds, heh. Ok, that had a bit of exageration, but I don't want to take the chance of blowing my stock rear end. I took the test this morning, and I'm feeling pretty good about how I did. Unfortunately, it will be a couple or more weeks before the scores come in I'll probly go w/ a 4000 or 4400 stall, fyi.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
whoever said the trex lost power with heads, where the hell did you read that. head cam combo cars with the trex are going almost mid 10's
That's fine, but your talking track times. At the track, the car lives above 5500 rpm's which is where that combo would shine. The graph was overlaid with a TR 230 and the T-rex with the cam being the only change. Power from 0-5500 was crap compared to the TR230. When most of his time will be daily driving, why would you want to sacrifice low-end power when you could just get a more resonable cam? Not bashing the T-rex, but for this situation, I think it is a bit out there.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
That's fine, but your talking track times. At the track, the car lives above 5500 rpm's which is where that combo would shine. The graph was overlaid with a TR 230 and the T-rex with the cam being the only change. Power from 0-5500 was crap compared to the TR230. When most of his time will be daily driving, why would you want to sacrifice low-end power when you could just get a more resonable cam? Not bashing the T-rex, but for this situation, I think it is a bit out there.
i understand what you are saying, but its still more than stock and that was drivable to me, right. just depends on the person. and gears make up for the loss alot.