Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another PCV Discussion/question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another PCV Discussion/question

Ok guys, first of all i have read over almost 30 pages from the other post about PCV set-ups and have been reading all over the internet about the function and hoe it needs to be routed.

The back story is I bought this car as is not running and the person I bought it from really does not know about the internals and i've been trying to track down the previous owners to find out the build specs and have had no luck.

The motor is a built 427. it has a cast iron 6.0L block, fully machined 823 heads, big cam, forged rods, crank, pistons, ported throttle body and other bits and pieces. AS I SAID I BOUGHT IT NOT RUNNING.

The set-up that was on the motor as far as the pcv system was like a LS1, but everything was BLOCKED OFF. The valley cover had no port, all the ports on the intake were plugged, and driver and passenger side valve cover was plugged, and driver side where PCV valve was is plugged also.

After I fixed it and started it up, it ran good but sometimes at idle there was a very slight bit of smoke out of the exhaust and sometimes under heavy throttle.

My thought process was since everything was blocked up, it had no way to relive any built up pressure in the engine so it was blow-by. Also the vehicle had no oil leaks and the motor was dry under. I drove it up to get it dyno tuned (I drove it fairly hard) and when it got on the dyno I saw the front crank seal started leaking, a small to medium leak. Not to where you can see it coming out or dripping on the ground but it was all over the bottom and on the leaf. Another reason why i thought because of excessive pressure = blow out crank seal.

So I changed everything up in a attempt to fix the issue.
New LS6 valley cover
New holley valve covers
New catch-can. (like a mike norris I believe, it is the one vengance racing sells, good can)

I installed everything and this is how it is....

*Breather/filter on the oil fill car for the fresh air intake
*Connected both valve covers together to help equalize and fresh air to both sides.
*from valley cover (internal PCV) to catch can
*from catch can to behind throttle body to intake manifold.

It is running good, at idle there is no smoke, but under heavy throttle up to 6,400 rpm there is a decent amount of smoke out of the exhaust. the catch can is also catching a fair amount of oil.

What i'm thinking is...
1. maybe putting a sealed oil fill cap on it, where i have the valve covers connected together putting a T fitting, running a longer hose to a filter. Then it will still provide fresh air to the engine.
Thought process with this is maybe with a longer air hose it will help restrict the fresh air intake to it some instead of it on top of the fill tube where it is direct. thinking that it will possibly reduce the amount of flow from the pcv, into the can then into the intake
2. Since every thing was plugged off, maybe go from valley cover to catch can then from catch can to atmosphere. BUT this is not good because without vacuum the PCV valve will not work
3. Plug everything off 100% and just leave the breather filter on the oil cap.
4. Plug everything off on the intake. Run the PCV from the valley cover to one of the ports on the valve cover. where the valve covers connect together put a T fitting, run that to the catch can, then from catch can to filter to atmosphere. BUT that would not work because it will still not have vacuum for PCV.

Also with the crank seal leaking, I dont see how it can me making the PCV/smoke out of the exhaust worse but I may be wrong.

I know there may be something going on internal with the motor. I plan on pulling the motor, tearing it apart so I can figure out exact specs of everything it has in it and freshen it up with new rings/seals/bearings and so on but just trying to do what I can to give me some more time so I can work on other parts of the car.

BTW the motor put down 550HP 530TQ on the dyno and it "supposed" to be 11.1 compression but that is unknown right now if that is compression spec is correct.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a few pics of the car

over 1000HP in 2 LS powered cars

Quick Reply: Another PCV Discussion/question