Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

taking off heads for winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking off heads for winter

2002 C5Z. St. Louis, MO. Weather is going to get shitty for the next few months, but I want to remove my heads and send them off to be CNC'd. If I remove the heads, tape off everything....will I have any problems?

Car is stored outside under an all weather car cover.

How long can the heads be off in this condition; if any at all?
Old 01-09-2016, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by zhero21
2002 C5Z. St. Louis, MO. Weather is going to get shitty for the next few months, but I want to remove my heads and send them off to be CNC'd. If I remove the heads, tape off everything....will I have any problems?

Car is stored outside under an all weather car cover.

How long can the heads be off in this condition; if any at all?
Just make sure antifreeze is in the block and rub the cylinder walls down with a thin layer of grease to keep them from rusting and tape up the lifter holes so nothing falls in. Should be fine.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Corrosion will be the big issue. Where I am, it can occur overnight due to proximity of the ocean. You should be able to do it but make sure all exposed ferrous parts are coated and check them frequently. Don't assume spraying with something will protect them for months. Once the heads are off, lubricate the cylinders and turn the motor over by hand several times to ensure there is no coolant trapped around the rings. Diligence will be key.

Also, NAPA carries a wax consistency corrosion protection, which is very good for something like this.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Corrosion will be the big issue.
Agree. I took off my intake manifold and left the heads on (so really not much) for a few days and when I finally got the heads off the entire chamber of the heads, the back of the valves and the tops of the pistons were COVERED in rust. The walls were ok, but mainly because they still had some oil on them.

I would say coat as much as possible with WD40 or oil and seal as much as you can with water resistant tape or tarp. And don't let it sit for long.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When I did my heads, I would go out once per day and rotate the motor and oil the cylinders. However, I am in a very corrosive environment. As a matter of fact, one of the big corrosion test sites is right down the coast from me where they test metal samples left out in the salt air.

Quick Reply: taking off heads for winter