Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

compression ratio

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default compression ratio

Hey guys need some help planning my build and figuring out compression ratio. I'm going to rebuild my ls1 to a 383, 392, or 395 ci like texas speed offers. Im gonna run 799 heads (cheap) that I know bump comp up about .5. I know im gonna need dish of valve relief pistons but don't know how many negative cc to go. If possible I want to go low enough for a supercharger setup 9-9.5:1 im guessing. If not ill pass on the $7000 plus price tag for one. This is my first rebuild on a car engine so this is all kind of rocket science to me. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

What's up man. Saw your other thread in the dyno section. This is a good calc for compression.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/cr_test2.php
Old 01-14-2016, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Hey thanks appreciate it man. I was looking one of these but nothing was free ha
Old 01-14-2016, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

I know this is about to be even more like rocket science, but your static compression ratio will only get you so far. You also need to look at the cam you're using. You can always go with a slightly higher compression piston and have a larger intake duration on your cam. This will make it so the piston is higher in the cylinder when the intake valve closes, thus lowering the dynamic compression ratio of the motor. Also, if you want to have higher compression, running a higher octane fuel helps a lot. Especially getting into race fuel and running a water/methanol kit. These things can help reduce the risk of detonation and pre-ignition.

Quick Reply: compression ratio