Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for stock ring gaps on a

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004 | 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Looking for stock ring gaps on a

6 liter. I'm putting my shortblock together tomorrow....err starting it anyway. I'm upping the compression to around the 11.5-11.9 area and will probably go with 22 top and 26 second on the gaps. I wasn't sure on the stock gaps though. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks

Rich
Old 06-13-2004 | 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Factory end gaps are .010"-.016" top and .018"-.025" second ring...for a higher compression motor like yours I would personally reccomend .020" top and .018" second for N/A and if your going to spray it..say up to a 150 shot..just use .006" of gap per inch of bore diameter for the top ring, and .005" per inch of bore diameter for the 2nd ring.Factory always runs a looser gap for the 2nd ring..but I prefer a tighter 2nd gap than the top for a tighter seal..plus the second ring isnt directly exposed to combstion heat..so not as much expansion occurs. Hope this helps,

Carter
Old 06-13-2004 | 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Rich,

This is Mark the guy you got the Holley Intake from. My 408 ought to be done by the end of the month if everything goes right. Where are you going to take it for test and tune?

Originally Posted by Taspeed
6 liter. I'm putting my shortblock together tomorrow....err starting it anyway. I'm upping the compression to around the 11.5-11.9 area and will probably go with 22 top and 26 second on the gaps. I wasn't sure on the stock gaps though. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks

Rich
Old 06-14-2004 | 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
Hey Rich,

This is Mark the guy you got the Holley Intake from. My 408 ought to be done by the end of the month if everything goes right. Where are you going to take it for test and tune?
10second-thanks for the info. I think I may spray it so I went with a 22-26 gap....an I broke 1 ring putting it in.

Mark- hey wuz up? Well test and tune is a little ways off. I've got to get an oil pan and headers. Not to mention I am still working on the porting of the heads. I should be ready in about 3 weeks if I can manage to stay in town that long I'm not going to cam it right away. I want to break it in first, not to mention I still haven't finished the rear end yet? Powdercoated that intake too
Attached Thumbnails Looking for stock ring gaps on a-intake.jpg  
Old 06-14-2004 | 02:41 PM
10 Second Club

No problem..what kind of compressor and rings are u using? If it's a fixed compressor make sure your piston to wall clearance is not too loose or it could shift the compressor and snap a ring in a heart beat..Good luck and hope u enjoy the new motor!

Carter
Old 06-14-2004 | 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've bought and used several compressors over the years and I found that the 6.99 compressor that autozone sells is the easiest and most accurate one for the money. I broke my ring because I wasn't paying attention. The compressor wasn't pushed all the way down to the deck and the ring popped out of the side and broke my 2nd ring....no worries. diamond is sending me another ring should be together by the end of the week. OH...and yes I will enjoy it. Its been down since thanksgiving weekend
Old 06-15-2004 | 02:50 AM
On The Tree

I told ya those second rings are easy to shear off!!!!

Deja-vu....