Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block prep before going to machine shop

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Block prep before going to machine shop

I have seen where some people work the oil passages in the valley to allow oil to return better. Also see taking out some of the burrs and knocking down sharp edges. I have also seen where people will add a radius at very bottom of cylinder wall so its not a sharpe edge to help minimize piston wall scrapping at bottom of stroke in a stroker motor.

Any things you do or think I should do before sending it to the machine shop?
Old 02-16-2016, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by welldonecj7
I have seen where some people work the oil passages in the valley to allow oil to return better. Also see taking out some of the burrs and knocking down sharp edges. I have also seen where people will add a radius at very bottom of cylinder wall so its not a sharpe edge to help minimize piston wall scrapping at bottom of stroke in a stroker motor.

Any things you do or think I should do before sending it to the machine shop?
The alignment between the oil pan ports and the block are sometimes off, if you feel confident enough you could fix that situation. Other than that, I chamfer the bottoms of the cylinders as part of the bore/hone process as any good machine shop should do. (But all too often I see ignored) you could break out a grinder and remove any residual casting flash from oil return areas, and knock off sharp edges like you said, but other than that, proper prep work should be part of the process the machine shop goes through to give you back a fully machined block.

Quick Reply: Block prep before going to machine shop