Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to go with my setup now...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Where to go with my setup now...

So I hurt my LQ4. It was stock internally other then a big cam and springs. I am currently running twin On3 76mm turbos so I think I could they could get near 1400rwhp. Can I do this with rebuilding my stock block and adding some internals? Is it worth it to go 408? I really dont like the idea of adding stroke if I dont have to and have heard the skirts get to short. Anyone got any good stuff for sale currently?
The car is an 1982 Volvo that is back halved, I have a built 4L80 with transbrake.
Attached Thumbnails Where to go with my setup now...-dscn6004.jpg   Where to go with my setup now...-dscn6005.jpg  
Old 03-26-2016, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

If you are going to get forged internals, then you might as well get the extra displacement with the stroker kit. I do not see any disadvantage to stepping up to the 408. More cubes will give you the power with less boost. Less boost should keep you from lifting your heads. There are plenty of successful strokers out there, with millions of combined miles between them.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Any brands over the others? I could save some money by not having to buy a crank and that is a plus too but I am willing to spend the money if it's worth it. So the rumors are not true that I have heard about short skirted pistons.
Other then doing studs should I be able to make 1200 reliable hp?
Old 03-26-2016, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

At this point, even adding new rods and pistons to the stock crank would only be buying you time. The crank would be the weak link, especially since it has already survived whatever hurt your engine to begin with. And if you are going to buy a new crank, you might as well add the extra cubes.

Also, the block is not a six bolt block, so there is only so much boost you can cram in there before you start lifting your heads. More cubes will make more power with less boost. It is a win-win.

The pistons are short, but proven. As in more success stories than horror stories.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:49 AM
Staging Lane

Makes sense if my next weakest link is going to be headgaskets. What about brands then? Any reason to go with one over the other?

Quick Reply: Where to go with my setup now...