Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket??

I have done a search but not really finding what I'm looking for. Here's the story: I have a 408 iron block. Car was loading up and started heating up but not to point of overheating. I'm a gauge watcher so I think I caught it early. Upon checking the oil, I found there was coolant in the oil. Drained the oil and gave her new oil and filter. Started the car, let it run for a short period, checked the oil and there was no sign of coolant in the new oil. Topped off the radiator, after running for a short period, found more coolant in the oil. Did a cold compression check and all the cylinders were 150-160psi except for #7, it was 105psi. All of the plugs showed that the car was running on the rich side. On a side note, I installed an RX catch can prior to having any problems and ran the car "some" but not much. The car is naturally aspirated but the can had 3 ports on top so I talked to the guys at RX on the hose routing but wondering if that has anything to do with it. I have a breather on the oil fill cap so I wouldn't think that it would be creating to much pressure in the engine but not sure. Thank you, in advance, for any help or advice!!
Old 04-11-2016, 11:06 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

If you have what you need do a leak down test on the low cylinder. Sounds on the surface like either head gasket or cracked head
Old 04-11-2016, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

I don't have anything to do a leak down test, not saying that I can't get it though! I have had to move the car a few times so I drained the water out of the system to be able to get the car on and off the trailer. Will this affect the ability to do any tests? It has PRC Stage 3 LS6 heads that are studded on it if that helps with any advice.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:00 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

I'm sure you'll be fine. Probably didn't even warm up in that period of time.

If you end up pulling the heads, a dye penetrant test kit on the heads surface will tell you definitively if your heads are cracked.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Sounds good! I'm guessing I'm at the point of pulling the head? Dumb question but I won't be able to get the head off while the engine is in the car due to the studs, right? Pulling the engine in a poor man's garage is no fun!! Thank you for your help!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

You should be able to. After you take the nuts off the studs you can unscrew the studs if you need to.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket??