Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first LS. 141k refresh.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first LS. 141k refresh.

Hello the the masses of LS intellectual prowess. I come to you a humbled man. After a few years of patience and luck I will be taking ownership of a 98 Camaro Z28 with 140k from a friend. It's a 2 owner car one was all highway the other was maybe in the car for 5 miles a day. I have expierence working on subies but little on the LS platform. It runs like a champ and drives really well. I am wondering what I should do to ensure longevity. It won't be a daily driver more of a just for fun car with the wife. Not concerned with more power as this thing peels out if you blow on the gas pedal.

Is it as simple as oil changes or should I pull it a part and hone it, new rings ...etc? What would you do?

I have read many opinions but would love to hear from all of you.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Basic stuff like oil changes and you're fine. I had 174K on my formula and it ran like a champ. I've seen 300+K on stock truck LS motors.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If everything sounds good and oil pressure is up to par I'd run it until it gave problems. I had roughly 140k on a heads cam ls1 that had seen a lot of spray die because a used aftermarket valve broke. Rest of the engine looked great just a big hole in the piston from a fluke. If taken care of these things can run a long long time.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDynamite
Hello the the masses of LS intellectual prowess. I come to you a humbled man. After a few years of patience and luck I will be taking ownership of a 98 Camaro Z28 with 140k from a friend. It's a 2 owner car one was all highway the other was maybe in the car for 5 miles a day. I have expierence working on subies but little on the LS platform. It runs like a champ and drives really well. I am wondering what I should do to ensure longevity. It won't be a daily driver more of a just for fun car with the wife. Not concerned with more power as this thing peels out if you blow on the gas pedal.

Is it as simple as oil changes or should I pull it a part and hone it, new rings ...etc? What would you do?

I have read many opinions but would love to hear from all of you.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

If its running that good I would give the car a full service and run it. These engines last a long time if you take care of them. My dads 01 Yukon XL (LM7) has 347,xxx miles on the clock and runs like new. I did the first oil change 15 years ago and with regular service she's lasted a long time.

If your not looking to mod it I would spend a weekend and change Oil/Filter, Air filter, Fuel filter, Transmission fluid / filter if auto car, spark plugs/wires, coolant flush, and rear differential fluid. Then enjoy the car as a daily or cruising with the wife on weekend.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put gas in mine and change the oil every once in a while. I'm at 249k so far. They aren't all highway miles either. Lots of stop and go traffic too.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

GM design parameters were for 250,000 miles
as others have stated, maintain it and run it

Quick Reply: My first LS. 141k refresh.