Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping cam gear. Quick question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Swapping cam gear. Quick question

So... I goofed up and bought the VVT Delete Kit from TSP for my LY6 swap into my 99 T/A and didn't realize that it came with a 4x cam timing gear. I am going to buy a 1x timing gear and swap it over, but I wanted to be sure the timing marks are the same. I'm thinking I can just line the 1x timing mark up with where the 4x was when I pull it out and not have any issues. Is this the case or are the timing marks in different locations? Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I can't find any info and I want to be sure before I do it.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-28-2016, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a 3-bolt cam, it should bolt up and the mark should be right. It indexes to the pin in the front of the cam. It's worth checking though that when #1 cyl(for example) is at TDC, both valves are closed(or cam lobes on base circle). Always best to check and re-check. I have done this more than a few times now but I still get distracted by life and do silly things more than I like to admit.

BTW, O-Reilley Auto Parts sells a nice Cloyes LS2 timing set(cam gear, crank sprocket, chain) for around $30-$35 which can't be beat. It's 1x, 3-bolt and they usually have it in stock. C3220 I think?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the reply. The car is already running, I just have no tach and a hard start problem. I'm just going to mark where the timing mark is when I pull the cover.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it runs at all you got it pretty close or correct IMO. Impressive that the PCM is still able to make enough sense of it to run the engine.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mercier
If it runs at all you got it pretty close or correct IMO. Impressive that the PCM is still able to make enough sense of it to run the engine.
The timing is right on the 4x gear I just need the 1x so the cam sensor can read. This swap was a pain in the ***. haha. Gen 4 motor, 80e and 9 inch. It's FINALLY g=coming together. Just wanted to be sure the timing mark was in the same location on the 1x gear as it is on the 4x.

Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

They should be the same. The dowel from the cam should be in the same location on both gears
Attached Thumbnails Swapping cam gear. Quick question-ls-cam-sprocket-id_small.jpg  
Old 04-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gagliano7
They should be the same. The dowel from the cam should be in the same location on both gears
Thank you very much gagliano7. That's what I needed.

Quick Reply: Swapping cam gear. Quick question