Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke on start up and hard pulls

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke on start up and hard pulls

I got my car back from a local tuning shop. The same shop did my previous tuning with my cam and exhaust setup. I just changed heads(TFS 215) and some 42lbs(vengeance racing) and when i got it back from them i noticed it smokes on start up and hard pulls(WOT). It just puffs a white cloud out and then goes away, the same under WOT. Normal DD i dont notice anything. There is a strong exhaust smell but I just pushed it off as it being cat-less. Doesnt smoke just normal driving or smell like anything other than exhaust.

Anyway i did some looking around on here and sounded like the valve steam seal. With the heads being brand new i didnt think the seal were crap but i thought i would take a look anyways. During that I removed the spark plugs. The shop just put in new ones because they said during first start up being my previous tune, it fouled the plugs. So with the new spark plugs and tune, i got about 150miles on it so far and the newer spark plugs are toast.

I talked to the tuning place before i started looking around on here and taking my car apart again. The only thing they said to me was "they doesn't use the old PVC system" they recommend getting a catch can.
I did buy a catch can and plan on putting it on, but after looking at the spark plugs im starting to think this is all witin the tuning.

I'm new to the whole LS gas engine world but the only thing besides tuning that i found was the valve steam seal being the seam color. I only have done my stock 99 853 heads(black & redish? seal) and these(TFS 215 both sides red).

I havent called trick flow or the tuning shop. Just thought i would change the seals and add a catch can for now and see where it goes. If that doesnt change anything(which i dont think it will) ill start calling. but i feel like at up against a losing battle with the tuning company. because they can always blame it on something else. the only good thing is they changed the spark plugs and i have a receipt for that and about 150miles from when i got the car back. I was thinking about having another tuner look at it just for sh** and giggles.

Im kind of just lost in this whole build so far, any help/hints would be great. thanks

99 c5 base 57xxxmiles
stock bottom end
Vengeance racing cam 240/244 .605/.596 112+4
trick flow 215cc head (non-milled)
lg 1 7/8 to cat-less 3" to bb bullets
fast lsxr 102mm w/ mw 102 tb
Old 06-03-2016, 09:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 242 Likes on 185 Posts

The PCV system will not fuel foul a spark plug. And it would be hard pressed to really oil foul one. The best way to find out is to run a scan tool and check for the closed loop fuel trims both long term (ltft) and short term (stft) those will tell you how much fuel the engine is adding (meaning it thinks it has a lean condition) or how much it is subtracting (meaning a rich condition). The stock computer can only compensate so much as far as adding and subtracting. If the new plugs are toast that fast, its usually fuel related. You arent noticing it burning over a quart in those 150 miles then it should solely be fuel related. Whether you should point the finger at the tuner or possibly other reasons like bad O2s or weak coils, compression, leaky injectors etc is up to you. It doesnt appear like the latter items would be the issue, but the O2 sensors could be.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:27 PM
Teching In

awesome input thanks.

forgot to mention also, no lost of oil within the little miles the cars been driven.

last year when I started the build, i put new plugs(which were replaced again this year) and wires. the coil pack is the other thing i didnt touch up top. everything else up top has been replace int, fuel rail gaskets etc.. haven't seen any leaks fuel or oil and no loss in fuel consumption
Old 06-04-2016, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might not even be oil. You stated the smoke is white. That's water. Oil is blue and gas is black. Now getting water smoke at start up is not too common but it is possible, It could be a small area of the head gasket not sealing good enough. But your symptoms are more like a bad valve guide seal.

You can check to make sure it isn't a water leak by pressure testing the coolant system. Put about 15-20psi pressure in at the cap and let it sit. It shouldn't drop at all.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 242 Likes on 185 Posts

150 miles and the plugs are fouled with no oil consumption really doesnt point to pcv at all. At that point it would be at LEAST a quart low if not more and due to that he would likely be experiencing a large amount of knock from extremely excessive blowby. As far as the valve guides, they are bronze on trick flow (unless he had the PM guides installed) and with the low miles on them highly unlikely it would be them also. With as few miles that are actually on the car at all, valve guides would be the very last place to look honestly.
Coolant would be very noticeable as well but could be another option. They make a chemical to test for combustion gases in the coolant which comes in handy.
The only way to really tell is to get a scan tool.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Bronze on the guide for the heads. And normal blow by.
The tuner shop also replaced my t stat so they refilled the coolent and also over filled pass the cold marker. So ive been keeping and eye on that anyways to see where it ends up after a drive.
Here are some pics of the plugs.
Driver side

Pass side

Last edited by 07white59; 06-04-2016 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-04-2016, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks tech@ws6 for the input. Im just see what other ppl might think. Even tho its over the internet, just trying to get my ducks in a row so they dont try pulling a quick one on me. I know im up against a losing battle because everyone points the finger at the tuner first. But this is why im reaching out on info.
Thanks again guys. Ill be stoping by on monday with the catch can they said to get. I cant waiy to see what they say

Quick Reply: Smoke on start up and hard pulls