Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help!! a4 cam questions... read ALL the posts....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!! a4 cam questions... read ALL the posts....

so far i've read all the cam posts for the past month and a half, and i just want some opinions of ppl with similar setups. i have an a4(obviously) and drivability is an issue. would a 230/224 be too much? i've not ridden in a car with an aftermarket stall converter, so i don't really know what the effect of a 3200 or a 3600 tc would be. any thoughts on explanations? i just don't want to be launching from stop light to stop light. i want to get a great street cam, but can still do the 2 hour trip to dallas on the weekends! i'd really apprecaite it, i know the cam question keeps coming up and keeps getting answered. the shops have all told me(thunder racing and lgmotorsports, thank you both for sitting down for the multiple phone calls, great ) that i'd wanna stay around a 224 on a 114, and i was just curious from experiences you all have had. thanks again everyone!
Old 03-18-2003, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: help!! a4 cam questions... read ALL the posts....

yea i realized far too late the broadness of my questions. i want a cam that will run well in the whole spectrum but i'm willing to sacrifice some lower end due to the fact that my habits focus more on street racing then quarter mile. right now i'm running a a4 setup but am desperately trying to convert my car to an m6 setup, in which this sort of cam wouldn't be an issue at all, say running the G5X2, which i've read nothing but good things about. i am just worried about temporary streetability for say up to six months of no racing, until i can get a conversion package together. i'm looking at a tci stall @ around 3200-3600 w/ls1edit. stage two heads would definitely be added down the road, as well as an ls6 intake. i'm about to have my 4l60e rebuilt(normal wear and tear rebuild) so it shouldn't have too much trouble with the cam as long as i don't run it hard. hope this narrows it down a bit, any thoughts? anything is appreciated.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm...putting a 230/224 cam into an A4 car with the stock convertor, stock heads, stock intake, and stock programming is going to be real rough. You will have some pretty severe idling and low RPM drivability problems.

A higher stall convertor will help greatly with engine stalling issues at idle, but won't completely cure the problem.

Considering you plan on doing the heads and intake later, you will most certainly need programming after those mods to allow your engine to fully utilize all it's potential, but in all honestly, you'll need programming even with just the cam.

So unless you're willing to pay to get your car tuned twice, I would probably hold off on putting in the cam until you can afford to do everything at once.

At the LEAST wait til you have a convertor in. Even then you will have low RPM drivability problems, but you could probably workaround it by doing mini-brake torques (keeping your left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas) everytime you need to come to a stop to prevent the engine from dying.

If you were planning on running cam only for a great deal of time, you may want to consider a smaller cam.

But as for that cam with stage 2 heads, LS6 intake, LT headers, and all the other boltons with tuning, you can expect some great numbers!!
Old 03-18-2003, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

constrictor....thanks for the thoughts man, i really appreciate it. i would put the stall in the same time as the cam, and it would get tuning with-in two weeks of install. also springs(obviously) and the lifters would be redone, as its over 60k mileage wise. the conversion package i was referring to would be the a4 -> m6 swap. it'd definitely be a top-notch full tune, either by lgm or ams. sorry if i wasn't clear before. thanks for the advice, and btw i love your website, really top notch!!
Old 03-18-2003, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I won't go into great detail but here is my setup. I have a 221/224 563/563 114 lSA, double springs. I am also running a 3200 stall 2.5 str. I also am programmed using LS1 edit. The car definetly loaps, and initially had to set the idle around 950 to avoid stalling. At first I would start the car when it was set at 875 and the car kept dying. The car is strong and rev limiter is set at 6500. Now that the computer is learning the new tables from LS1 edit, it is running and idling much better.