Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good mods for L59?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016 | 12:35 PM
Teching In

Default Good mods for L59?

I'm purchasing my first LS engine in a few weeks. It's a L59 Flex Fuel 5.3, comes with full uncut harnes, PCM and DBW pedal.

It's getting swapped into a 1979 Chevy K5 Blazer 4x4. I'm using a Muncie SM465 4 speed and NP205 transfer case. I found a good article on what all is needed to mate the old GM trans to the LS engine.

I plan on running the Schoenfeld long tube headers designed to fit my truck.

First things first I want to delete the EGR.

What all do I need done to the PCM when I get it tuned?

What are some good mods? Cam? I read up on drilling/tappping a hole in the water pump and redirecting the steal line to there, is this a good idea?

I've got the crossmember and LS engine mounts figured out for mounting it up

Just a LS Newbie looking for advice.
Old 07-31-2016 | 02:51 PM
Restricted User

Deleting EGR is easy, you can buy delete kits for $50.
When you get the ECU tuned, have the VATS turned off, as well as rear O2 sensors, EVAP, EGR, and have the neutral safety switched to work with a single wire.
Old 07-31-2016 | 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

You'll find the steam vent crossover underneath the intake. Drill/tap the top of the water pump and plumb there. Can run to radiator or overflow but cleaner to keep it on the engine itself.

Cheap, a used LS1 cam is a great drop-in for a bit more pep in a 5.3. Can't beat a custom/aftermarket cam though for power. Check Cam Motion's "drop-in" cams.
Old 07-31-2016 | 05:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies fellas. I know a lot of the time newbs get flamed for asking simple questions like I did so thanks for the positive feedback.

I'm very familiar with Gen 1 SBC's but new to the LS world.

I was looking into TSP cams, I'm not looking for anything too crazy just a little bit more umph than the factory setup but 100% reliable, sharp throttle response and a nice smooth idle.

I did a little reading on flipping the intake backwards (since its is symetrical) and running the intake through the firewall. Any thoughts on this? I'm into trail riding and rock crawling, I don't attempt water crossing that go above the tire.

When I do the new cam, I need new springs and what else would be a good thing to through in while I'm at it?

When I get a new "used" engine I always go through and replace gaskets and seals. Is the rear main seal replacement on these the same process as a 1 piece rear main seal Gen 1 SBC?

Will a double roller timing chain fit under the stock timing cover or do you have to get a deeper timing cover?

Best spark plugs?

Just trying to pick some knowledgeable brains lol.

Quick Reply: Good mods for L59?